Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

I finally added the slogan to the logo image itself. I used TI fonts, except I modified them to avoid copyright problems (I doubt it, though, else they would have sent Omnimaga a DMCA notice long ago. Btw there was an april fools joke there about that :P)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Oh, I would have trid with the Nokia cellphone font but well, since Canabalt and Flixel, I see it almost everywhere... ><

EDIT : In the "who's active" panel in the index page, who are the "Spiders"?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Yuki

Search engine bots. Should normally be 0 as we have a robots.txt on and we never linked this site anywhere publicly yet.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Juju the robot.txt was deleted on December 1st (unless someone added it again), so that might explain why bots started to appear. The site is also on Google analytics since then.

On an unrelated note, for IRC post notifications I wonder if those scripts could be of any use, if anyone knows how to install and set them up? https://github.com/search?q=irc+rss&ref=cmdform

EDIT: Omninet support added.

EDIT: Thanks to pimath, the post notifier bot is working :D (although disabled until the forum is visible to guests).

Dream of Omnimaga

Ok, another update:

The Karma buttons were renamed and moved besides the Quote and Modify buttons. The upvote link now says Like (Facebook-style) and the downvote icon was replaced with a stop sign with an exclamation mark saying "Flag as abusive". Hopefully this encourages people to use the post rating system accordingly. I could not seem to figure out how to make the text aligned with the other buttons, though, but again the different text alignment could distract users and prevent people from accidentally downvoting instead of quoting.

Because I could not find any way to merge downvotes with report to moderator, I have left the Report to moderator link intact. I also added an extra navigation option under the Moderate dropdown leading to the liked and flagged posts log, so that moderators can easily monitor post rating activity in case of abuse.

EDIT: Added About navigation (leading to the About page, board rules and post stats)

Dream of Omnimaga

Just to confirm, because I had disabled the Recent Post mod earlier due to concern about its license, but Cooliojazz told me it's fine if I use it regardless of what site it is for. It lacks a license but he made it himself. So it's enabled again now. Same for OmnomIRC with Soru, although he gave me approval a few weeks ago already.

The rest of the mods were found elsewhere including on SMF website and are free to use anywhere.

Also the theme is based on SMF Curve (default).

The About section is being edited accordingly.

novenary

Well technically if it doesn't have a license then we can do whatever with it, but it's good to have explicit permission from Coolio. Besides he wouldn't have put it up if he didn't want anyone using it.

Yuki

Open source code without any license means default copyright laws apply. You can freely use the software, but you can't reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from it (that is, modify it) and Coolio retains all rights to the code. However, if it's been published to GitHub, you have some additional rights as Coolio accepted the terms and services by signing up, specifically, view and fork the repository.

But in doubt, it's always preferable to ask the original author as you did, especially if you're gonna modify the software. As Street said, he wouldn't have put it up if he didn't want anyone using it.

Source: http://choosealicense.com/no-license/
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

novenary

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks for the info :)

Also some minor uodated: the staff board link is now blue for visibility and at the same time to make it easier to distinguish forum discussion. I am also contemplating making the CW staff #009900 or the same green as the logo because I would like to change link colors to something more distinguishable. What do you think?

EDIT: Twitterfeed confirmed to work. Some lucky guests might have seen the website for a couple of minutes. :P
EDIT: Changed forum categories and did some edits/merges, per aeTIos recommendation.

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

That is awesome. What will happen with topic 404, though? :P

Also, there is an SMF mod that makes post links look like that by default, but I don't know if it breaks stuff, plus I can no longer find it (maybe it was removed recently or on another site?)