Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Star Wars Episode VII, who's going?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 05, 2015, 08:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p2

In Germany the word Jedi actually is both the plural and the singular form  :thumbsup:
Also Jedi Knight is the same as Knight ('Ritter') is the same in singular and plural as well  ;D
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Sorunome

Perhaps the tital was on purposed made with such a duplicate meaning :^)

inb4 we have clickbait movie titles...

The last Jedi. Number four will shock you!
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Yuki

Quote from: Adriweb on January 23, 2017, 10:42:21 PM
Funny how discussions started on reddit already (of course), and one comment thread was about the fact that "Jedi" is also the plural form...
I also heard discussions in French on whether "Jedi" would be masculine or feminine: "Le dernier Jedi" (masculine form) or "La dernière Jedi" (feminine form) or even "Les derniers Jedi" (plural form), or why not "Les dernières Jedi" (plural + feminine form)? Some may also argue the masculine form can be used even though said Jedi would be a woman. Anyway, some languages have no gender-neutral form as in English (or the gender-neutral form is also the same as the masculine form), so I think they may as well translate this to something else completely, as countless movies did before.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on January 23, 2017, 10:22:34 PM
I have a bad feeling about this ...
Yeah same. I don't know if you mean in the same ways as me, but I hope it doesn't mean that Luke will die or something D:. Hopefully the title just means that one Jedi really stands out from the others or is just clickbait. Also in French, the 6th movie title was Le retour du Jedi, which is Return of the Jedi in its singular form.

Unless the French title was mistranslated (which I doubt would have been left as is, considering how they altered the original movies in their rereleases in 1997), then it was refering to one Jedi in particular. There was a Wikipedia page in French saying that the French title was Le Dernier Jedi, but the title is not official yet and the page has been deleted.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

:P

I hope it won't be like episode VII, which was great as a 2010's blockbuster, but really bad as a Star Wars movie. In comparison, Rogue One was fantastic.

Dream of Omnimaga

There was a fake Star Wars text crawl for Episode 8 on Facebook earlier that was basically the sentence "I hope Luke doesn't die." repeated over and over until the end. Also something strange is that the Star Wars logo for this film is red instead of yellow, so far O.O

Also yeah I loved Episode VII but Rogue One was definitively better.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

i haven't been to the cinema in 20 years and i'm not going until alien: covenant is out :p
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Really? I know many people don't go to theaters very often, but the longest I didn't go to one was 2 years I think. Even then I usually wait for $6 movie nights

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

I guess you use the internet then?  :thumbsup:
or are you really not watching any movies?  :ninja:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

There you go, the French title came out, "Les Derniers Jedi", which, as I said a few posts above, is plural.

Jedi is the plural of Jedi confirmed.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. More than one makes me breath a sigh of relief.

Sorunome

Quote from: Juju on February 18, 2017, 03:28:33 AM
There you go, the French title came out, "Les Derniers Jedi", which, as I said a few posts above, is plural.

Jedi is the plural of Jedi confirmed.
In german Jedi is both plural and singular.....
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah in French too, kinda like most proper nouns (eg Les Plouffe instead of Les Plouffes). You can tell it's plural from the usage of "Les" instead of "Le", though, unlike in English where "The" is used for both plural and singular.

Yuki

In many languages such as French, Spanish and German, if the noun have the same form in gender and in number, the pronoun and the adjective are still conjugated, while it just doesn't happen in English.

Ars Technica explains it a bit here.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN