Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalr.us Post Notifier [Windows] [Mac] [Linux]

Started by DarkestEx, May 17, 2015, 09:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, I forgot about the fact I am logged out. My bad. I guess that could work, then.

Also by recent posts list I mean an option to just show the active topics list, like at https://codewalr.us/index.php?page=recent2. That could be a quick way to see which thread got activity. But it should not be the primary focus (the current recent posts list should appear by default or in the main tab)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 14, 2015, 07:14:05 AM
Oh right, I forgot about the fact I am logged out. My bad. I guess that could work, then.

Also by recent posts list I mean an option to just show the active topics list, like at https://codewalr.us/index.php?page=recent2. That could be a quick way to see which thread got activity. But it should not be the primary focus (the current recent posts list should appear by default or in the main tab)
Well of course can I have this list in another tab, but that would require a reasonable big API change (and somebody would need to update my API hosted on CW).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

DarkestEx

BUMP!

Version 1.5 is out!

It features some improvements in the UI, some bugfixes and makes the taskbar icon fully configureable and adds a unread message counter to it.
It can be downloaded here: https://github.com/muessigb/CodeWalrii-Notifier/releases/tag/v1.5-beta
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Regarding the wrong notifications showing up, I just witnessed a notification from a post from three hours ago, just so you know :P (I know because the title was :walriichu:, which was my post in the Another Spam thread)

However I didn't try the new version yet. I'll update now. :)

EDIT: How do I display the unread posts counter? Because for me it isn't showing up at all (neither in the program tab nor the system tray)EDIT: Nevermind, they show up now, in the program tab.

Also good move to disallow setting amount of posts to display so it can't be set above 100 and preventing checking interval to be under 10 seconds. I just checked in case of security issues and was glad that it was thought about already.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Great application! Should be useful for other forums as well (if they have the server bit installed).

Okay, I have some suggestions (since I don't know C#):
1) Create an installer file that installs both the notifier and gtk#
2) Add a "run at startup" option (should be pretty easy. You just create a link to the program in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)
3) Add an option to configure for multiple forums
Well, I'm bach here too!

DarkestEx

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on January 28, 2016, 02:11:11 PM
Great application! Should be useful for other forums as well (if they have the server bit installed).

Okay, I have some suggestions (since I don't know C#):
1) Create an installer file that installs both the notifier and gtk#
2) Add a "run at startup" option (should be pretty easy. You just create a link to the program in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)
3) Add an option to configure for multiple forums
Welcome back, pimath!
Thanks for your kind words. There is a reason I did not choose to bundle an installer as the application runs natively on Windows, Linux and Mac OS. I can make a Windows installer if you really want me to though.
I also plan to add a silent command line flag, so that it starts hidden.

The multiple forum option can be added pretty easily, though configuration could be a problem. I will look into it.
Right now, only one forums is supported at once and the application is fully customizable using the config file and menu. The colors, icons, server and notification settings can be changed.

In a future version it is planned, that the default settings for a forum can be retrieved via the server side API, so that specifying a single URL is enough to configure one forum.

The server side can be hosted anywhere. It does not require any changes nor API access to the actual SMF forum. What is required though is an enabled RSS feed and a good amount of characters per RSS feed.

Dream of Omnimaga

I still wish that there was an option to make this notifier start automatically on Windows startup. While we can manually add it to the startup folder, perhaps if this was automatic this would be more convenient.

Also it would be nice if minimizing the post notifier would hide it from the taskbar and put it in the system tray instead.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 07:07:24 AM
I still wish that there was an option to make this notifier start automatically on Windows startup. While we can manually add it to the startup folder, perhaps if this was automatic this would be more convenient.

Also it would be nice if minimizing the post notifier would hide it from the taskbar and put it in the system tray instead.
Well while this is possible, I intentionally minimized it to the taskbar, again to maintain compatibility with different OSes and as the notification bar in windows just is a mess.
I could theoretically do a Windows build using #define and #ifdef blocks to add os specific features if you would prefer that over a universal binary. I could also do these things as settings and still maintain a universal binary but gray them out in any OS except windows.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think separate builds would be that bad, because there are very few updates on this anyway :P

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
I don't think separate builds would be that bad, because there are very few updates on this anyway :P
No, I won't do separate builds as this is more work for me and that would make builds even more infrequently.
If I add the Windows only settings, then they'll be added to the menu.

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 07:07:24 AM

@DJ Omnimaga
There is a way to do this, actually. Create a link to the notifier executable in C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Just replace [user] with whatever your username is, and you should be good!
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I was referring to. But not everyone knows that, hence why I was suggesting an option to make it automatic.
Quote from: DarkestEx on February 04, 2016, 05:44:37 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 04, 2016, 05:32:12 PM
No, I won't do separate builds as this is more work for me and that would make builds even more infrequently.
If I add the Windows only settings, then they'll be added to the menu.
Can't you make the post notifer detect on which OS it runs? I mean, if we can detect if a calculator program runs on a 84+ or a 84+SE then we can detect if it runs on Windows/Linux, right?

Dream of Omnimaga

* DJ Omnimaga pokes a @Juju

So after some requests, I think it would be better if post notifications for hidden boards were also posted on CW. Basically, instead of doing nothing for exempted boards, the bot should say "New post by <nickname> in [hidden sub-forum] <board name> <url to post>". I don't think it would be too hard to add/change, since the code for this is already there (you just have to edit it so it shows the board name instead of topic title, and if it's too hard then you can simply show "hidden sub-forum".

It would be nice because then members would be aware that some activity is occuring when it doesn't seem like it. But also it can be a bit annoying to not have post notification for hidden boards.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 08, 2016, 06:19:35 AM
* DJ Omnimaga pokes a @Juju

So after some requests, I think it would be better if post notifications for hidden boards were also posted on CW. Basically, instead of doing nothing for exempted boards, the bot should say "New post by <nickname> in [hidden sub-forum] <board name> <url to post>". I don't think it would be too hard to add/change, since the code for this is already there (you just have to edit it so it shows the board name instead of topic title, and if it's too hard then you can simply show "hidden sub-forum".

It would be nice because then members would be aware that some activity is occuring when it doesn't seem like it. But also it can be a bit annoying to not have post notification for hidden boards.
This cannot be implemented in my post notifier at all I fear, without ditching the cache. If you are okay with that, I can add a Username and Password field to the settings to allow logging in.
For users not logged in, the cache could be preserved.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually disregard that DarkestEx I posted in the wrong topic :P. My bad (although now that I think of it it was a good move to suggest it here too :P)