Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[Beta] TwoStep - The challenging puzzle game! [Axe] [TI-8x+]

Started by DarkestEx, January 29, 2015, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Thanks, DJ!

You can see my current progress here:

I have debugging mode enabled, thats why it is printing the output all over the screen.
Also there are delays in the Debugging Mode to see what is actually parsed (like 300x slowdown)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Awesome. I was wondering about the end indeed due to the loading time, but I figured it might have been because it displays text. I wonder if using custom fonts (via sprites) would make it 300 times faster, seeing how slow TI's proprietary text routines are? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Its time to give you a sneak peek on the update I am working on.
Its about the main game in this case.

Do you all understand the icons or not? Is it obvious what they mean or do I need to change or explain them?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

CKH4

Wow, that is very cool. I think I get the hearts and the blocks but I'm confused on what the shield does. I also assume that you are adding a timed mode ( or is the bottom right something else? ).
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm not too sure honestly, but for that kind of game, I usually just trial and error at first to check what each object or icon do and learn from that. It can be hard to tell from a static screenshot, but I would probably need to try that version to judge.

Of course, though, always add a readme with instructions/doc no matter what. TI-Nspire coders have set a trend in the TI community to not include any instructions with their new game releases, sometimes  not even in their main topic nor the ticalc.org description. I would like other people to not take that habit.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

You should do a 7*7 heart, this size is perfect for them.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

DarkestEx

Quote from: CKH4 on April 02, 2015, 11:59:31 PM
Wow, that is very cool. I think I get the hearts and the blocks but I'm confused on what the shield does. I also assume that you are adding a timed mode ( or is the bottom right something else? ).
Yeah, a timed mode is planned. The shield should show, if your next step is save or not, (you can do one save step and the second one must end on a save block). But I think about maybe just changing the icon from a shield to an exclamation mark every time.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 03, 2015, 02:56:47 AM
I'm not too sure honestly, but for that kind of game, I usually just trial and error at first to check what each object or icon do and learn from that. It can be hard to tell from a static screenshot, but I would probably need to try that version to judge.

Of course, though, always add a readme with instructions/doc no matter what. TI-Nspire coders have set a trend in the TI community to not include any instructions with their new game releases, sometimes  not even in their main topic nor the ticalc.org description. I would like other people to not take that habit.
I am the last person not to include a readme. I think the first post is already half the readme :P
I will still make a static html version out of it and put it in the zip. Also on my website you can find (a growing) article about the game.

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 03, 2015, 08:25:14 AM
You should do a 7*7 heart, this size is perfect for them.
Oh, you're totally right. Thanks, I will change all items to fit the new 7x7 style!

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

You're welcome sir (-_(//)); I hope your game will be finished soon!

DarkestEx

I hope the new version is easier to understand, and the icons better-looking than before:

EDIT: I remember you like animated screenshots too, so here you go:

I am happy for any feedback.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

The neat thing with 7*7 is that they have natural margin when you align them to 8*8 and they can vertically align with text without any problems! :p

DarkestEx

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 03, 2015, 05:45:57 PM
The neat thing with 7*7 is that they have natural margin when you align them to 8*8 and they can vertically align with text without any problems! :p
Yeah, you're right. Well, what needs to be improved else?
Are the icons easy to understand? How does the 2nd icon from right need to be (it shows the homaniest step (of 2) you are going right now.
Of course I could invert the screen too or do similar things. What would you use as a visual indicator, that the next step must end on a safe platform?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Why not adding some sort of decorating frame to the HUD? (The icons are vey great, you won't improve them that easily now)

Snektron

Quote from: DarkestEx on April 03, 2015, 05:32:40 PM
I hope the new version is easier to understand, and the icons better-looking than before:

EDIT: I remember you like animated screenshots too, so here you go:

I am happy for any feedback.

Looks way better than before! I'm liking the sprites :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah I like the new layout even better! O.O Same with the new sprites :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Eyup, with some tweaking work, your game will look quite polished and pretty! :D