Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Tetris

Started by aetios, November 16, 2014, 01:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh 5 blocks preview and drop shadow would be nice. I think that's what ThePenguin77's Tetris did, right? Or maybe it was another Tetris game?

Being able to put a piece on hold should probably be a game mode, though, for people who want to go with a full challenge with the original rules.  But it's up to you I guess.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 22, 2014, 12:12:24 AM
Ooh 5 blocks preview and drop shadow would be nice. I think that's what ThePenguin77's Tetris did, right? Or maybe it was another Tetris game?

Being able to put a piece on hold should probably be a game mode, though, for people who want to go with a full challenge with the original rules.  But it's up to you I guess.

Yep, and he on his part recreated Tetris Marathon which is still one of the best tetrises made so far IMO.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I like that game mode. 

On a side note, in your game, I notice that the starting speed is very high compared to the NES version. Is this intentional?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I made it that way because I wanted it to be fast for testing. :P The engine allows for adjustable speed thankfully so yeah. ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok good lol. Because I felt for novice players they will find this version much harder than other versions if the speed remains like this. :P That said, the Windows 3.1 Tetris was like this too, IIRC, in addition to lacking the ability to make blocks fall line by line (you could only make them fall instantly)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I don't know for features but I'd like to see three of them implemented :
- instant fall with a button (with UP)
- Holding a piece
- Having a cooldown before then piece blocks itself when it touches the other blocks. (In Tetris DS the cool down reset each team you rotate)

Yeah I came ffrom Tetris DS and it was my favorite port. I destroy its marathon in no time! :p
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

The first two are planned, the last one is easy enough to do with three lines of code. :P

aetios

actually I wanted to implement #3 too but I don't want to reset it. Instead I wanted to add a bit to the timer every time you rotate :)

Don't expect too much progress on this for the rest of the week. I have a test coming up and I have to study like mad because I wanna get a good score.

Dream of Omnimaga

Good luck in your test aeTIos!

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Have fun! And if you're bored in the test, heh, you have tour Tetris! ;)

novenary

Good luck with your test but don't tire yourself out. :)

aetios

Quote from: Eiyeron on November 27, 2014, 07:01:55 AM
Have fun! And if you're bored in the test, heh, you have your Tetris! ;)
Eh, I can't use my Nspire :P Thanks everyone :)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

That's not a calculator, it's a game console

novenary

Quote from: Eiyeron on November 28, 2014, 07:18:43 AM
That's not a calculator, it's a game console
I definitely agree.

aetios

Bah. Not true, I use my CX for lab data analysis all the time :) It's a really good machine, you just have to use it for what it's intended for - which is data gathering and analysis. I might do a post about how to actually use the Nspire the way it's intended.
Anyways I have my test tonight. Thanks for all thesupport already, I hope it all goes well ^^'