Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

NHL Playoffs (ice hockey) + bracket challenge!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 13, 2015, 05:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

For the Hurricanes, eh, Karmanos looked for selling his team and the rumors started way before the lawsuit, so we never know. When they say the lawsuit would not affect a possible move, it's kind of true, either way.

Also I'm pretty sure every Canadian team is for Québec, alongs with Rogers and every other Canadian actor involved with the NHL, which gives a good weight against Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the Bruins, and his followers. The Habs want a good competition, amirite?

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 18, 2016, 06:09:48 AM
Regarding players who always dreamed of playing in Quebec before retiring, I think it might be a bit too late for that, though, because many who did, such as Simon Gagné, already retired. But I wouldn't be surprised if that happened during the first season or so.
I was talking abut Vegas (and Québec if it's an expansion), but eh, trades to Québec (even if it's a relocation) will definitely happen.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Karmanos is too greedy IMHO. I know he owes money but I doubt anyone in Carolina will spend $450 millions or so on a team, especially when the Coyotes sold for about half that amount in 2013 or so.

I am really impatient to see how this whole thing turns out on June 22nd. Hopefully they won't just say "we haven't taken a decision yet on expansion". People in Vegas would be pissed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Only 17 hours left before the press conference about NHL expansion in Las Vegas. Hopefully they make expansion official and announce a team in Quebec for a specific year not too far in the future. I can't seem to figure out how they would rule out Quebec City completely. Hopefully it won't just be another "We still have no news on expansion other than that we made progress" or crap like that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Haaaa~

As stated before, Vegas is pretty much confirmed for an announcement at this press conference, for Québec, though, anything can happen, to the expansion, relocation, nothing at all, or worse, no decision for the town yet, and this is why this conference will be pretty interesting.

Anyway, this is the big day, and no matter what's announced I can easily imagine the riots in town.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

A lot of people are so tired of waiting that they would rather be told no than be told that no decision was taken yet. Of course a no answer would cause a massive uproar as well, but people would probably move on and switch to the Remparts or something. On the other hand, I hope they don't say no to Vegas either because that would be kinda a c move to people there who have been told for 1 year that it's done deal.

Something to note is that some QMI people are gonna be in Las Vegas, but whether it's for TV stuff or an announcement is unclear. Also Labeaume mayor has postponed his trip to Europe by a few hours tomorrow so he can watch the conference and do his own press conference. Some people are worried that it will be damage control in the event of an expansion denial, but we never know. I really hope for the best, but we have been disappointed so often in the last few years that I am not getting my hopes up.

As for if a team doesn't come ever, I'll probably just support the Capitales baseball team, while casually following the Remparts, Sens and Jets. It would be a good lesson to the NHL if as a response to not selling an expansion team to QC if they failed to negociate a new TV deal in 2026 or so when the Canadian deal expires and if many Canadian sponsors ended/voided their NHL contracts in direct response to the announcement.

Also I wonder if the TV deal Sportsnet is part of had a 8 Canadian team clause? Maybe if the NHL denies a 8th team then SPortsnet could just threaten to cancel the TV rights agreement.

In any case tho @Juju , if for example we are guaranteed a team for 2018-19 or 2019-20 then we should maybe party somewhere tomorrow night :P (I'll take a 2020-21 one too but that's starting to be quite far. I mean, I'll be 34 then >.<)

Yuki

Eh, to me QMI would probably be there no matter what the decision is, because, well, they're candidates, it's kinda like you're part of the finals and you're not there to see if you win (even if you'd know the results since a while). And yeah, it's been one year it's on the burner, it's about time to announce the results.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

It would suck if they sat next to Bettman and Foley only to be told "NHL is proud to award a new franchise for the 2017-18 season to the city of Las Vegas, Nevada. Quebec City we love you too but merci bonsoir." The look on his face would be priceless.

Also NHL stop teasing us D:

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/745635753913257985

Yuki

Haha, way to tease us, NHL. (the maybe ;) at the end holy c)
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Those marron/white uniforms with the husky, though... eeew... but Quebecor probably has something in store if they win a team. :P

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

No thanks O.O

Also ZN is down so I have to rely on Twitter for news. I'm in Quebec right now so I can't watch live on Sportsnet website

Yuki

I'm watching it and I'm livetweeting it.

EDIT: Las Vegas has their team, the decision for Québec has been differed, they aren't closing the door just yet.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, given the excuses they gave and the fact the CDN dollar is slated to stay under 80 for the long term, I think they might as well start a KHL division in North America with Hartford, Quebec, Halifax, Saskatoon, Hamilton, Houston, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta and maybe Markham.

Yuki

Bring the WHA back while you're at it. Then it'll merge back with the NHL after a few years...

But yeah, the only 2 things keeping the NHL to expand to Québec is the dollar, the number of teams difference between the East and the West conferences and the fact they don't want to add too much teams at the same time. Every other argument was impressive to the NHL and, barring the tthree other things I mentioned, the NHL would expand right now in Québec if possible.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, what I think is maybe if a WHA or American KHL division looks like a serious attempt at competing against the NHL, in terms of management and financing, and that the main founding teams steal some potential NHL markets, then perhaps that could cause the NHL to hastily award NHL franchises to block WHA expansion like they did with Atlanta and Long Island. The WHA owners would need to plan their league in a way that can be easily shut down without much financial damage but not be in constant danger of folding like the WHA was. Just the potential scary thought of seeing the WHA expand into Seattle and Quebec could be enough for the NHL to quickly change their mind about Quebec and try to get Seattle to build a new arena faster.

Also my worry is I hope that the three things they mentioned must not all go away before expanding to QC, else QC will never get a team again:

1) The Canadian dollar remained under $0.80 for 2 decades back in the days. On the other hand, it seems that the NHL is more worried about the big fluctuations than it being low. For example, Bettman mentioned that it went under $0.70 for a while, so perhaps if it remains at $0.78 all the time they might be more inclined to expand?

2) Quebec City cannot be moved to the west physically.

3) Other teams don't want to lose 2 players in one go.

#3 is a very valid point and #1 can be worked around via relocation or by getting QMI to pay their $500M check as soon as the dollar goes above a certain value. But #2 will inevitably require a re-alignement. I hope they aren't using those as excuse to stay out of Qc.