Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I prefer to keep javascript to a minimum. We already use it for some site features, but ideally I would prefer not adding more. I don't mind CSS, though, other than the high amount of trial and error involved.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Board stats page now shows the 30 most active weekly posters (or less when less people actually posted) and top 15 highest karma ratios.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

All right, some stuff changed with OmnomIRC and WalrusIRC permissions now:

-Omnom mode didn't work in 4 of the sub-forums. Fixed.
-The shoutbox now requires 5 posts instead of 20 to be used. As always, the full screen versions (if you know the URL) or direct IRC access also works even below 5 posts.
-A message now appears as a placeholder for people who cannot use the shoutbox yet or are part of the restricted or disabled shoutbox mode usergroups. It informs people about the requirements and alternatives like what Omni used to have back in the days.
-Other permission issues were fixed.

Please let me know if you have any problems accessing OmnomIRC or WalrusIRC.

Yuki

- SPDY has been enabled for SPDY-enabled browsers
- WalrusIRC does not show up in HTTPS (because it's insecure)
- The HTTPS certificate has somehow the wrong name, should fix it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

What does SPDY do?

Also yeeah we might need to fix HTTPS at one point. Not sure if it's mandatory in today's browsing but some people prefer to use it. TI-Planet and Cemetech still seems to get away fine without using it by default.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

SPDY is a new protocol to compress/speed up normal communications between a client and a server for HTTP related things.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I see. If SMF uses compression of its own can this break stuff if stacked with SPDY, though?

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Not at all. SPDY replaces HTML if it can. From a server program to a client brower, it's invisible. Think of it as a capsule to transmit data.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh OK. Can it cause compatibility and rendering issues in certain browsers, though? I am asking because I know all the problems we had server-side when CodeWalrus ran with HHVM and we had to ditch HHVM for PHP >.<

Also some updates were done on the website CSS for mini-profiles. This might take a bit to get used to, but some mini-profiles were so large that even with a small signature and little post content, their post took a considerable amount of page height. Hopefully topics should be a little easier to read now. You might need to hit Shift+F5 to see the changes.

Unicorn

The Omnonirc is not working fo me on my kindle, it used to work about a week ago, now it doesn't. Or,if it did register my messages, I couldn't see them.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe the addition of WebSockets support broke compatibility with Kindle? You would need to bug Sorunome about it since he maintains OmnomIRC.

What about WalrusIRC?

Unicorn

That doesn't work either. I think it allows me to send messages but it doesn't load previous posts/messages after I reload the page. It also makes the site to laggy to use, so I just started relying on the external OmnomIRC. (Keep in mind that this is on an older kindle paperwhite and I am probably the only person browsing these forums with one :P)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Yuki

SPDY is not a replacement for HTML or PHP but rather a replacement for HTTP. Actually, it's probably going to be the new HTTP/2.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Oh dang, I meant HTTP. i'm sorry, my mind slipped. Yeah, it'll replace the work HTML already does with compressing headers and arguments, encryption(?) and better packet managment.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Unicorn on March 23, 2015, 06:39:41 PM
That doesn't work either. I think it allows me to send messages but it doesn't load previous posts/messages after I reload the page. It also makes the site to laggy to use, so I just started relying on the external OmnomIRC. (Keep in mind that this is on an older kindle paperwhite and I am probably the only person browsing these forums with one :P)
It's possible that your device is deprecated now and is no longer receiving updates, so now it,s lagging behind in features and compatibility.