Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

PersianTree PalmOS Emulator

Started by guicrith, July 09, 2016, 10:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameblabla

Interesting, the Videoway is essentially an 8-bit computer, very similar to the Colecovision.
(only with more advanced graphics, similar to the Colecovision/MSX but with better sprite capabilities)
It has a MC68A09EP, which is a Motorola 6809, most famously used by the CoCo 2 & 3 and many arcade games.
(btw, this might bring you some memories)
Perhaps we should talk about it more in depth in another topic ?

Anyway, i discovered in the SDK files that it has in fact, a fully working emulator provided with the Tapwave Roms.
Unfortunely, the emulator is pretty bad (at least on Ubuntu) and refuses to run most games.
However, this did allow me to discover the Zodiac's menu and run a game. (before it crashed)

The intro screen when you power on your console

The main menu

This screen showed up after i tapped on "Unlisted"

And finally, a screenshot of a game running...

RocketChu, one of the few japanese games for Palm OS

This is a non-Zodiac Palm OS game so it does not take advantage of the wider screen.

If you want to try it yourself, it's found in the SDK.7z file in Tapwave 1.1 SDK/PalmSim.
Run PalmSim.exe and enjoy.
It might be useful to guicrith for testing and comparaisons but i don't think it will be too useful.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was considering making a Videoway topic at some point, but I wasn't sure if anyone else would be interested since it was only provided in Quebec and UK IIRC.

Also those PalmOS games look great :O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Ah yeah, the Videoway, that thing was pretty much my childhood, used to play a lot with it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I have made a new topic about it now but I double-posted by accident due to a SMF error.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U