Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

nVVVVVV

Started by pimathbrainiac, November 13, 2014, 08:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

Well, the Prime has hardware acceleration and I believe it supports paletted graphics but I don't know if it can easily be implemented in ppl.
On the Nspire, everything is drawn pixel by pixel by the CPU so it is extremely easy to add transparency (compare each pixel to a reference color) or palette swapping (which allows compressing the sprite data too) though that would need support from n2dlib or a custom drawing routine.

Dream of Omnimaga

A long while ago I made a program that divided the color value of each pixel by half one by one every frame. It took 4 seconds, if I recall correctly, but we're talking about 320x240, not a 16x16 sprite. It doesn't need to be done in real time, since you can simply pre-render your graphics then cache them into GROB's, so speed should not be a problem. HP PPL graphics also supports transparency but with no alpha-blending. Maybe there's an even faster way to do this anyway.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I look forward your game and I hope to see more screenshots and playble demos!

For the Mao compression, a RLE should do enough justice as the game map doesn't have a lot if different tiles and that they are usually quite plain.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

novenary

Yes of course rle should work for compression. What we were saying is that since all tiles are monochrome with different palettes you can make them reusable.