Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Building a Gameboy Oscilloscope

Started by Keoni29, July 01, 2015, 02:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keoni29

I recently picked up an incomplete electronics kit for making a Gameboy oscilloscope cartridge. The kit contained an unpopulated circuitboard, some random chips and a diskette with link software.

Apparently this kit was published by an electronics magazine. This is the article that went with it:
http://www.reinerziegler.de/gbdso_uk.pdf

I almost have all the required parts for it except for some rare chips. Here are some pictures:
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Snektron

Whoa, thats awesome :o. It would be cool if something simmilar could be made for a TI-84 :3 though i guess 2 bits on the IO port is to inaccurate :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Keoni29

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on July 01, 2015, 03:43:51 PM
2 bits on the IO port is to inaccurate :P
That is not the point. The cartridge contains all hardware for converting the analog signals to digital. The z80 inside the gameboy then reads the digital information and puts it on the screen. With a calculator linkport you're limited to a 2 wire interface. You CAN read digital data from an analog to digital converter using just 2 wires, but it would be way too slow for realtime measurements like on an oscilloscope.
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Snektron

Ah okay :) Anyway this sounds really cool :) show us a video when you're done okay? :3
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I would like to see a Game Boy oscilloscope into action. Good luck Keoni29 :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Good luck!
What chips are you missing?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2