Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

We officially need to ditch HHVM

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 14, 2014, 06:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Practically none of the mods I want to install are working and I even had to re-install the entire board then restore the theme from an older backup when I tried to install one of the mods (I forgot which one, but the entire board ended up into white screens of death). In some other cases, some mods don't even do anything at all, even on the default them. Example: Stop Forum Spam, which changes absolutely nothing at all.

If you check SMF website, you will notice that there is only 1 single post mentionning HHVM out of their 3 million messages and it's in Spanish. I wonder if the SMF team is even aware that it exists at all.

I know some of you prefer HHVM because it's much faster than PHP, but it's severely slowing down site progress and now I'm pretty much forced to halt mod install and editing until we did the switch. I would rather use something slower but more compatible than delaying the site opening by weeks and risking data losses everytime somebody modifies something trivial.

EDIT: Also the SMF Fixes mod is too dangerous, because it's a mod of other mods. I tried uninstalling everything so that Stop Spam can be installed (else it wouldn't install unless installed first, like the old Omni arcade) and then after installing Youtube, SMF Fixes install broke the forum with a blank page. If you don't know by heart the perfect order in which to install mods before this and what not to install, then you are screwed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

pimathbrainiac

Sweet! I think that should fix many of the problems!
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

I'm sure it will. PHP is on now. You can still test stuff with HHVM with file extension .hh if you want.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

pimathbrainiac

Yay. The white screens are all but gone!
and there was much rejoicing
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

YEah it definitively runs much better now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Yeah I think speed is important as well but stability should be the primary focus right now. We can figure out other ways to speed up page loading later.

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note, tapatalk needs tags or something because I cannot find Codewalrus in it.