Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

TI 84+CE-T

Started by kotu, August 15, 2016, 02:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kotu

Hi this is a warning for any European ppls such as myself (I am in UK)    [*EDIT* this post was a FALSE ALARM, he he]

I ordered what I thought would be a TI 84+CE from amazon.co.uk, only to be sent a TI 84+CE-T, which is the European version. I was very disappointed to find C development (using MateoConLechuga's C implementation) impossible on this model. So, if you are in Europe, and want to program in C, buy a TI 84+CE!! From the US!!

Many thanks!  (-_(//));

*EDIT*
I got the thing working in the end! The rest of this thread has the details if you need them! Cheers guys
  • Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

p2

If it's a different article than declared (or even not what you thought it would be) you should be able to send it back and get your money back... Just call the guy you bought it from and explain what's the problem :)

Aand I feel like it's time for a extra section in CW (only visible to other members) where we could sell our old calculators and stuff ^^ @DJ Omnimaga
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

kotu

Thanks p2. The return has already been arranged  :w00t:
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3

p2

ok :) I had the same problem once when I was trying to buy a combo mouse which supported the PS/2 protocoll, too (so it works using a USB->PS2 adapter)
The guy sent me a mouse that didnt support it. Instead of returning my money he then sent me another one, said this one should work. Guess what: It was no combo mouse again :P In the end I called him and we agreed on returning the money & both mouses since I found out  he didn't even know what a "combo mouse" was... He just wrote some fancy stuff on amazon without understanding what it ment :P

Edit: Since you seem to be new to COdeWalrus, why don't you introduce yourself? :)
Here's the link to the introduction topic (It's a bit offtopic right now but just ignore that)
http://codewalr.us/32/42977
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

kotu

In my case the calculator was being advertised as a TI 84+CE even though it was a TI 84+CE-T. The guy who sold it to me said this was unavoidable... he said it was due to amazon making it hard to get the item listed as a new item in amazon itself.... seems pretty poor of amazon!

Dream of Omnimaga

Hi Kotu and welcome to the forums. Are you sure your TI-84 Plus CE-T could not run any C or ASM games? Have you tried Calcuzap, Wal-Rush CE, GalagACE, Pac Man and First Fantasy: Mana Force on it and what error did you get?

I was sure that the CE-T supported native code, since no one else reported this issue before. Also, if you press Mode, then Alpha then Ln, what version numbers does it say at the top of the screen for Boot Code and Base Code?

EDIT: Kerm says the CE-T can run ASM and C programs and PT_ owns a CE and says he managed to run Pong and CircleIT fine
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

Hi Omnimaga and thanks

BOOT Code is 5.1.5.0014
BASE Code is 5.1.5.0019

I haven't tried one of those games you mentioned yet, to be honest it is more important that I can write my own programs (in C) than play other games. The simplest example in MateoConLechuga's C kit, a hello world example, produces the error "Error: Syntax"

If I can't produce the simplest of programs then it is pretty useless to me. However, I will try running one of those games when I get the time. Thanks for your help!

Dream of Omnimaga

Are you sure you ran Hello World with the Asm(prgmNAME) syntax and not prgmNAME?

Also, I forgot to mention that some C programs require installing the C libraries from his package, else they will give an error about missing libraries upon launching.

As for the boot code and OS, I got the same OS, but my boot code is 5.0.0.0089, if that means anything.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

So sorry everyone, got it working in the end  :w00t:

Thanks DJ!

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see it works. I was quite scared, because locking down calculators against ASM and C development is totally something that Texas Instruments have done multiple times in the past (TI-82 Advanced, TI-84 Plus-T, TI-Nspire series) and even when not doing so they also did things such as preventing downgrades to older OS versions. For example, on TI-84 Plus calculators released after August 2011 or so, you cannot downgrade below OS 2.55 MP through normal means.

kotu

Quick Update

I have now run some more examples, including Calcuzap and CMonster, and some of the more advanced examples from the C SDK. They all seem to run ok! Looks pretty compatible!

Yay

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad to see they run smoothly. I was really worried when you made your first post lol. I hope you have fun with your new calculator, both when using it for classes and as a hobby. :)

p2

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 16, 2016, 12:14:26 AMI hope you have fun with your new calculator, both when using it for classes and as a hobby. :)
Makes a whole community spend more time with their calculators than sleeping - still calls it a "hobby"  :thumbsup:

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on August 16, 2016, 08:26:55 AM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 16, 2016, 12:14:26 AMI hope you have fun with your new calculator, both when using it for classes and as a hobby. :)
Makes a whole community spend more time with their calculators than sleeping - still calls it a "hobby"  :thumbsup:
I don't have a pet :walrii: in real life that knows how to code TI-BASIC from a giant keyboard yet, though. :P