Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Smartphone technical discussion

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, January 19, 2015, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

That is a little suspicious too sometimes when a company publishes no news and updates for a long while. If it has been half a year then it could mean that the company went under.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Or just dropped the support for the phone, this could work too. Usually, after one year without updates you could start wondering about your phone's future and start watching XDA devs and their ROM builds.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I actually got worried about my Nexus 5 when I saw that Android 5.0.2 was not rolled out for my device.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Doesn't Nexus run plain Android though?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, in theory it's stock Android but it should have some tweaks, like drivers or GApps.

Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I'm temtped to flash for OxygenOS. (Streetwalrus, we already had this discussion) but CM12s is coming soon too for OPO (officialy)

Snektron

Thats what i like about the HTC One S. Even though the model is like 3.5 years old now, it still gets a CM update very quicky (thx random xda devs)

Yuki

Yeah, if your phone is old enough, no one want to support it anymore aside from some random devs on XDA, and even then...
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

DarkestEx

These are my current phones (Full comparison):

Motorola Moto G2Palm Treo Pro
~170€ from Amazon~30€ from Amazon
End 2014 (bought Spring 2015)End 2008 (bought Winter 2015)
2G - HSPA2G - HSPA
Android 5.0.2 LollipopWindows Mobile 6.1 Professional

Qualcomm MSM8226 Snapdragon 400
Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 (CPU)
Adreno 305 (GPU)

Qualcomm MSM7201
528 MHz ARM 11 (CPU)
Adreno 130 (GPU)

I find the similarities pretty interesting. Especially that the CPUs and GPUs are of the same family.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

That's just Qualcomm's naming scheme, they don't necessarily share anything. Qualcomm is the biggest ARM SoC vendor on the market.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on December 05, 2015, 03:18:42 PM
That's just Qualcomm's naming scheme, they don't necessarily share anything. Qualcomm is the biggest ARM SoC vendor on the market.
Yes I know. But its still cool that they are quite similar (ARM and Adrena GPU).

I plan to do quite a bit of Windows Mobile development in the next time. Maybe I can come up with some useful apps for interfacing with the Arduino and other microcontrollers.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Well look at it this way : Nvidia still calls their GPUs GeForce, AMD still calls them Radeon, and desktop CPUs are still x86 after decades. :)

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on December 05, 2015, 04:00:32 PM
Well look at it this way : Nvidia still calls their GPUs GeForce, AMD still calls them Radeon, and desktop CPUs are still x86 after decades. :)
Yes I am totally aware of this. I was just referring to the name as I never expected a Qualcomm chipset inside of this phone. Initially the chipset I was expecting it to have was some XScale one.

novenary

Ah I see. ARM11 (a core implementing the ARMv6 ISA) dates back from around that time though. I believe that's  what the iPhone used back then.