Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Drawing to the buffer and screen

Started by Ephraim Becker, April 13, 2015, 06:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephraim Becker

How do I draw to the buffer and screen without a #include file for both the ti 84 Plus and ti 84 Plus CSE? I don't believe plotSScreen works without a #include file.
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

Snektron

No, in the include file "PlotSScreen" is linked to an address. If you want to draw with out an include you should just use the address of PlotSScreen, which is 9340h (the h for hex) for the TI 83+/84+. Then, once you've changed the pixels to your needs, you need some code to do the actual uploading to the display. I recommend using FastCopy: http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=Z80_Routines:Graphic:Fastcopy
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Ephraim Becker

What address is (penRow) and (penCol) linked to?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Ephraim Becker

Will these addresses work without a #include file?

DarkestEx

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on April 13, 2015, 06:48:00 PM
I guess they will. The include file only contains some labels and preprocessor directives to make life easier.
You could even write assembly by hand without any assembler, but that wouldn't make much sense.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Wouldn't using direct addresses pose a problem in the event that TI would change the calculator hardware? Remember what happened with the Casio FX-9860GII in 2011 and the TI-84+ in 2007 (although in the latter case, only programs using the extra RAM pages were affected).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 13, 2015, 10:46:02 PM
Wouldn't using direct addresses pose a problem in the event that TI would change the calculator hardware? Remember what happened with the Casio FX-9860GII in 2011 and the TI-84+ in 2007 (although in the latter case, only programs using the extra RAM pages were affected).
Yeah, you would lose alot of flexibility. But basically it is possible, but not recommended.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Ephraim Becker

Then what's the best way of drawing to the screen and buffer without a #include file?

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on April 13, 2015, 06:33:38 PM
How do I draw to the buffer and screen without a #include file for both the ti 84 Plus and ti 84 Plus CSE? I don't believe plotSScreen works without a #include file.
Quote from: Ephraim Becker on April 13, 2015, 11:01:05 PM
Then what's the best way of drawing to the screen and buffer without a #include file?
You literally asked the same question twice... <_<

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on April 13, 2015, 06:48:00 PM
Yes. addresses are not dependent on #include files.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Ephraim Becker

Then what's the difference of using addresses and using the port $10 and port $11?

Ephraim Becker

Is there any tutorials on the Toshiba T6A04 (the TI 83\84 Plus LCD Driver)?

tr1p1ea

Drawing on the TI-84+ and TI-84+CSE is different considering that one is b&w and the other is colour.

Here is a tutorial for the 83/84+: http://tutorials.eeems.ca/ASMin28Days/lesson/day26.html

It is recommended that you work through the entire tutorial chronologically however.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

COuld you please avoid double posting? there is two edit buttons with that icon . Double (or more) posting increases clutter and makes more things messy, okay? ^^

EDit : If you want more explanations, double posting is tolerated when last post was posted more than 24hours befores or when you are in your own project's topic and giving news, releases, etc.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Ephraim Becker

Quote from: z80 heaven
Writing to a Buffer (good)

Now, we will introduce the best way to draw pictures. This involves a buffer. A buffer is an array of data. How it's structured and what the data means in the buffer is programmer defined (what the program does with it), but be careful because if you want to allocate (not use for any other purpose) a section of memory for a buffer that's structured 20*20, because z80 doesn't recognize "variables", you can inadvertently use it as a 4*100 buffer. Of course, then, your data would make no sense until you used it as a 20*20 buffer again. Here are some good tips on using buffers:

Create variables that point to:
        Top of buffer (first byte)
        End of buffer (or define the length)
        Pointer (where you are looking at in the buffer)
    Define the buffer in a safe location of memory
        In a saferam area (appbackupscreen, etc.)
        In the program itself (if you're willing to sacrifice space)
        In a location of memory that the calculator already uses for your purposes (plotsscreen for picture buffer)

I don't really understand this so well. Can someone please explain this to me better?