Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Programming language support

Started by DarkestEx, November 04, 2015, 02:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What languages should the microcat be programmed in?

C only
C and Basic (some easy dialekt - ZX spectrum like Basic maybe)
C and the best of Lua and Basic (fewer features but runs faster, allows for large and more optimized games)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p4nix on November 10, 2015, 11:17:45 PM
Quote from: Streetwalrus on November 10, 2015, 07:08:41 PM
To answer the "when", the actual hardware needs to be released first, otherwise it's pretty much useless.
Unless you have an emulator - the microcat needs premade games, tutorials and demos I guess.
First, we will indeed have an emulator and second, I am pretty sure that we will also make some demo games. At least will we program parts of the user UI using it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Let's focus on the firmware a bit, though a simple game with enhanced graphics and a song would definitively help showcasing the platform in action.

Also, is the hardware functioning and final with no voltage issues/conflicts?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 12, 2015, 09:49:50 AM
Let's focus on the firmware a bit, though a simple game with enhanced graphics and a song would definitively help showcasing the platform in action.

Also, is the hardware functioning and final with no voltage issues/conflicts?
Yes we woll definitively do one.

The hardware is not even barely done and prototype I presented so far is not even close to what we will have hardware wise. I am going to look into the that soon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah sorry to hear. I thought it was somewhat getting close to final, other than the layout. I wish you good luck with that.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 13, 2015, 08:32:24 AM
Ah sorry to hear. I thought it was somewhat getting close to final, other than the layout. I wish you good luck with that.
Its OK. We always estimated the project to take a lot of time and we are actually doing pretty well recently and making a lot of progress. As soon as claw and the graphics API is done, the firmware is basically ready for making some per pre release games. Also we want to test as much as possible before starting with the very expensive PCB prototyping phase. We estimate about 100-150 euro for one prototype which is really bad for us as we don't have a big income (me being a student and getting just about 20 euro a month - 5 euro per month for web hosting and Iwert who isn't rich either). Not that we cannot do it, but we will need to be very certain that the prototype will work. We would also need to buy the all the SMD passives and other components required. Its not looking to easy but I am sure it will work out somehow.

Dream of Omnimaga

I would definitively like a prototype once the hardware reaches final state. I would be willing to pay if I can afford it by then.

Something I wonder btw is how the emulator will handle SD card support. Will it let you choose a directory/drive path or something?

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 18, 2015, 05:16:51 AM
I would definitively like a prototype once the hardware reaches final state. I would be willing to pay if I can afford it by then.

Something I wonder btw is how the emulator will handle SD card support. Will it let you choose a directory/drive path or something?
Yea I think so.