Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Piworld

Started by 岩倉 澪, January 28, 2015, 08:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

岩倉 澪

Handmade Hero has inspired me to take another shot at this old project.
Piworld was my first project, and it was largly thanks to the calc community that I became a programmer.
My interest in calculators faded as PC programming captured my attention, but my dream for piworld was far beyond what I could accomplish back then. I moved on to other things, but I think it is finally time to make that dream from my youth a reality.

My vision for this game is an isometric/2.5d adventure game in the spirit of Legend of Zelda. The plot that I wrote for piworld 1 and 2 probably will not be incorporated directly, but it will influence the thematic elements of the game. I'll be working on design and storyline during the development of the game, rather than planning everything before production.
I don't want to spoil too much, but I will say that I've got designs on paper of a brand new protagonist and the final game is likely not going to be called piworld (consider it a codename).

github repo: https://github.com/miotatsu/piworld
imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/vhR3T

I'll post updates as they come. :)

===Progress Log===

• Research

• OpenGL

• vsync

• pipeline overview

• context creation

• drawing polygons

• textures

• transformations

• Platform Layer (first pass)

• Window creation

• OpenGL context

• Gamepad & Keyboard usage code

• Graphics usage code

• Audio usage code

• Perf. timing

• Platform API

• Platform component modules

• Custom game memory allocator

• Handmade Hero platform layer review

• Live loop code editing:

• Dynamic library loading
    • Hotswapping
    • Live looping

Snektron

Sounds interesting :) on what platforms will it be released?
edit: 200th post! wow much spam
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

岩倉 澪

Linux, Windows, and OSX at least, and it will be open source

T.Wang

Good luck with your project :) Looking forward to seeing it
Animated Codewalrus sig coming soon!

Dream of Omnimaga

Something like Super Mario RPG, Solstice, Equinox or Landstalker would definitively be nice, although more Zelda style. Do you plan to make it look old school like those games?

Also I remember the original Piworld for calcs. I wouldn't be surprised if there was still a copy floating around somwewhere on my hard drive. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

岩倉 澪

Right now I am envisoning a more modern art style, but that is still up in the air since it is in such early stages. I'll keep the idea of a retro look in mind now :)

haha, nice! The original piworld is the game that really started it all for me. I don't have much left my self, though I do have a couple pages of code printouts, it is fun to look back on and see all the mico-optimizations that were necessary

Dream of Omnimaga

Yah TI-BASIC definitively required a lot of optimizing. At least in ASM on color platforms you could circumvent speed issues by updating as few parts of the screen as possible or by using hardware scrolling, but in TI-BASIC even just moving 1 character around was slow.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

岩倉 澪

There is now a progress log in the first post, strikethrough = finished, green = in progress, red = not started

岩倉 澪

piworld now has a github repository, and I've commited a module for hotswapping
https://github.com/miotatsu/piworld/blob/master/source/platform/hotswap.d

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh thise hexagonal tiles. I made some back then IIRC. glad you're going with that style again :)

Keep us updated about updates ;)

岩倉 澪

Yeah! I'll be working more on mocking up artwork once the game has more of a platform layer in place, just threw that hexagon together in blender quick (well, not really quick because first time I've used blender haha) to confirm that the math I did on paper was right and to experiment with viewing angles

Will do!

Dream of Omnimaga

Will the graphics be 2D or will you use 3D with textures in the final game? If you use 2D then perhaps if you got tile-based sprites you could modify some of them  so they are in hexagonal form.

aetios

Ooh I remember seeing this project on Omni when it was still a calc thing. Cool to see it back :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: aeTIos on February 02, 2015, 02:49:19 PM
Ooh I remember seeing this project on Omni when it was still a calc thing. Cool to see it back :D
Actually back then it was already for PC too. Both versions were worked on side by side. That reminds me, if this game isn't too demanding on resources and is 2D, maybe a color calculator spinoff could be made?

岩倉 澪

I'm planning on 2D graphics that sort of fake 3D with a fixed perspective, but I'll go full 3D if I find it necessary. I would love to see calc spinoffs made, but won't be doing any myself.

Currently writing usage code for the hotswapping module. I realized that my current functions won't work well in practice because I'll need to support compiling many different files, should have written the usage code first!