Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Mystery Computer Club (working title, interactive fiction)

Started by Yuki, August 28, 2018, 12:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

It's some concept I thought about this morning, inspired by Javascript emulators and those (legal) hacking challenges where you have to ssh your way into the next computer, thought you'd want to hear about it.

So, you find yourself in some computer room, for some reason. Lots of computers, old and new. Why are you here? Who knows. Maybe these computers will give you an answer. Except all of them are locked, save for one. Impossible to get to them without breaking anything, and that's something you'd want to save for last.

Looks like this dusty old-school IBM PC is your starting point. You'll want to find how to unlock these computers, one by one. Each of them will give you the name/URL of the next one and their credentials, if any, behind a little puzzle. Each level features a full-featured emulator of a different operating system (ideally free, redistributable and lightweight, so no Windows :P) running in your browser, so, needless to say, you'll want to know your way around Linux, DOS and operating systems in general.

Again, it's some idea I find pretty cool and educative and I'm not sure I'll work on it right away with my numerous other projects, but yeah, I want your feedback and ideas, what do you think about it?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

rowan_futurerave

• Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus CE-T, CASIO fx-CG50

jamu

Sounds interesting, will said puzzles/credentials for each level be preset or will it all be randomly generated?
I have a rhythm game problem.

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

rowan_futurerave

Quote from: Juju on August 28, 2018, 12:45:23 AM
...........needless to say, you'll want to know your way around Linux, DOS and operating systems in general.

Haha so you will be supplying Ctrl+Alt+Del ???
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 Plus CE-T, CASIO fx-CG50

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN