Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Lubuntu Installation [Dual Boot] [PC]

Started by Dudeman313, October 28, 2016, 12:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I'm trying to install the Lubuntu OS on my quasi-aged Windows Vista laptop. I had Windows 10 and Windows Vista in a dual boot, but then I realized that Vista wasn't genuine or usable. So, I'm trying to put a more streamlined OS in its place.

I already followed some instructions to delete Vista(I erased the partition & reset MBR), so now Windows 10 is the only OS on my laptop.
When I attempt to install Lubuntu as a dual boot, I am presented w/ a screen that asks me about file partitions that I don't understand.
How do I put Lubuntu along side it?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

Hehe, always fun. Can you try uploading a screenshot of the installer? I can probably help you install it.
Warning: under no circumstances should you choose 'automatically install Lubuntu'; it doesn't work too well and will likely wipe your laptop :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

GalacticPirate

Yeah, I actually managed to wipe out my Windows 10 partition from my just-bought laptop by messing up with the Linux Mint installer :trollface:
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dudeman313

Nevermind. I hit automatic (before I saw this) and it worked (after some earlier partition edits).
It turns out that I hate Lubuntu. I feel so restricted!
Any suggestions on a replacement? Linux? Ubuntu?
The answer is "Sure."

gameblabla

Quote from: Dudeman313 on October 28, 2016, 10:16:37 PM
Nevermind. I hit automatic (before I saw this) and it worked (after some earlier partition edits).
Quote from: Dudeman313 on October 29, 2016, 01:07:37 AM
Well...Lubuntu was junk. I didn't like it at all. It was like choosing between iOS 4.2.1 and iOS 3.3.1 that's customized to look and work like iOS 7.  :-|
I'm trying Linux Mint right now. Like it so far.
Why you think it's junk ?
It's like the greatness of Windows XP added with some flat design !
And that disease known as systemd, granted...

If you don't like Lubuntu then i don't know what you're going to like...
I kind of like how Kubuntu with KDE 5 looks like now tho.
If you like Apple (in a homo way, yum), something like Elemenatary OS might be of interest.
You can even go ahead and install Android-x86 on your computer !

If you don't like Lubuntu because it does not have a lot of apps installed,
you can install some new ones either via the command (apt-get install) or via the Lubuntu Software Center.
You can also add ppa to your PC, the most famous one is probably Padoka's PPA,
which allows you to get the latest improvements in graphical drivers. (thanks mesa)
For example, you can add Padoka's ppa like so from a terminal emulator (you will use it a lot on Ubuntu) :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

But in the end, i do not know your expections or what you even like.
You'll have to give away some more info man.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Hayleia

The only thing I disliked with Lubuntu was that it was fugly by default (though the default look for LXDE when installed "by hand" is far far worse...). But it's highly customizable, unlike Ubuntu's Unity ;)

What I would advise you is to try other DEs on your Lubuntu right now, then it will become bloated yeah but whatever, you'll reinstall a fresh Linux with the one DE you like most.
As a personal preference, I like GNOME :P

Wut? Do you know that Lubuntu is both of these?

utz

If you don't like lxde, try a distro with an xfce desktop (Debian+xfce for example, or Xubuntu if you absolutely want to stick with Canonical).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dudeman313

Quote from: gameblabla on October 29, 2016, 01:22:56 AM
If you like Apple (in a homo way, yum), something like Elemenatary OS might be of interest.
You can even go ahead and install Android-x86 on your computer !

But in the end, i do not know your expections or what you even like.
You'll have to give away some more info man.
I do like Apple. Elementary OS looks quite interesting, though it bugs me that it will have the same compatibility as Linux.
And I might also try Android-x86, but I'm afraid that most features and apps won't work due to my terrible graphics.

Quote from: gameblabla on October 29, 2016, 01:22:56 AM
If you don't like Lubuntu because it does not have a lot of apps installed,
you can install some new ones either via the command (apt-get install) or via the Lubuntu Software Center.
You can also add ppa to your PC, the most famous one is probably Padoka's PPA,
which allows you to get the latest improvements in graphical drivers. (thanks mesa)
For example, you can add Padoka's ppa like so from a terminal emulator (you will use it a lot on Ubuntu) :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

None of the things I tried to install actually installed, and I hated that I had to request root permission for the even simplest of actions, and use my long(but secure) password for every little thing. But if I get Elementary OS, maybe I'll try Padoka.
Hating Lubuntu and Linux Mint might also have something to do w/ me hating Firefox and not being able to install Chrome...

Quote from: Hayleia on October 29, 2016, 07:49:08 AM
The only thing I disliked with Lubuntu was that it was fugly by default (though the default look for LXDE when installed "by hand" is far far worse...). But it's highly customizable, unlike Ubuntu's Unity ;)

What I would advise you is to try other DEs on your Lubuntu right now, then it will become bloated yeah but whatever, you'll reinstall a fresh Linux with the one DE you like most.
Yeah, I thought it looked bad too. So I tried to make it look like Mac OS X. When that failed because Macbuntu wouldn't download, I threw it in the trash. :P

Wut? Do you know that Lubuntu is both of these?
Ya I'm quite stupid at times.

Quote from: utz on October 29, 2016, 09:25:45 AM
If you don't like lxde, try a distro with an xfce desktop (Debian+xfce for example, or Xubuntu if you absolutely want to stick with Canonical).
I honesty have no clue what you just said.  :-|

The answer is "Sure."

Unicorn

QuoteHating Lubuntu and Linux Mint might also have something to do w/ me hating Firefox and not being able to install Chrome...
um... https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/ and hit download? Run the .deb? At least if you are on mint it works.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dudeman313

I had Mint 32bit. Google Chrome dropped 32bit support for all Linux systems earlier this year.
The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

Quote from: Jkolade936 on October 30, 2016, 03:21:08 AM

Yeah, I thought it looked bad too. So I tried to make it look like Mac OS X. When that failed because Macbuntu wouldn't download, I threw it in the trash. :P

Quote from: utz on October 29, 2016, 09:25:45 AM
I honesty have no clue what you just said.  :-|
Seems like there is something you didn't get.
Basically, in layman's terms (so people can correct me if they want but I don't even try to be precise):
— Linux is just a kernel. All distros are based on it.
— A distro is something usable. Ubuntu (using .deb files for packages), Fedora (using .rpm files for packages), etc.
— A DE (Desktop environment) is your interface. LXDE on Lubuntu, Unity on Ubuntu, XFCE on Xubuntu, etc.

The DE actually doesn't depend on the distro, so you can have GNOME (the DE I use) on Arch or Ubuntu, no one cares.
Even better, you can install Lubuntu (with LXDE then), and then install GNOME anyway.

So in other words, if you don't like the looks/feel of your distro, you don't need to change your distro. You can just install another DE and try if you like that one better. That's what I told you, and also what @utz said (Canonical being the ones behind Ubuntu, so they're basically behind all _Ubuntu distros (not meaning that they maintain it but your base system will be from them)).

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

Hayleia

Well you can still be confused, but if you don't tell us what you didn't understand, no one can explain better.

Just to give you more examples, the Classic Ubuntu is the Ubuntu system with the Unity DE and Lubuntu is the Ubuntu system with the LXDE DE. Meaning that they are compatible with the exact same software since they are the same system (you install stuff with apt-get and not pacman, which would be the case on Arch) but they do not have the same interface since they are not using the same DE... Except if you install LXDE on the Classic Ubuntu or Unity on Lubuntu, in which case you'll end up with the same thing, but you'll have 2 DEs for no reason.

Dudeman313

So you mean that if I had kept Lubuntu, I could have just put on another DE and not wasted all this time?
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

I wouldn't call it 'wasted time'. It's good to experiment around :) Post any questions you have!
ceci n'est pas une signature