Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Snake on a HP Prime

Started by nullweist, March 02, 2016, 04:25:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nullweist

This is a remake of the classic Snake game. You use the arrow keys to move. If you hit the edge, or yourself, you die. If you "eat" the red dot you get bigger. Be warned that this program uses a matrix to store temporary data. If there are any issues feel free to let me know.
  • Calculators owned: Hp Prime

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll give this a try in a few minutes in the emulator (by the way, the emulator is located at ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/ and you can use it to make screenshots, but your games will run faster unless you use the WAIT() command). :)

EDIT:

I made an animated screenshot with Camstudio and VirtualDub:

I like it so far, but I found two issues (although I think one is caused by the emulator?)

-Keys takes a while to register, so to make the snake turn, I have to keep the arrow key pressed for a while, else it won't turn

-If you go backwards, the snake seems to go through itself, as demonstrated in the screenshot above.

What would be cool as new feature would be to add extra colors, such as making the background green and the snake yellow. Perhaps a mode where the field wraps around (so we can go outside the screen and appear on the other) would be nice as well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

nullweist

Thanks for the input. The backwards thing is a bug, you are supposed to die when that happens. I didn't notice the key press delay and will try to figure it out.

nullweist

New Version!
Changes:
-Fixed the issue of being able to go backwards
-New Color Options
    >Black Snake/White Background
    >Green Snake/Black Background
    >Yellow Snake/Green Background
-New Difficulty Options
    >Easy - Normal Speed/Field Wraps Around
    >Medium - Faster Speed/Field Wraps Around
    >Normal - Normal Speed/Collision with border kills
    >Hard - Faster Speed/Collision with border kills

I can't make an animated screenshot, but here are some normal screenshots of the new colors.

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the changes, especially the difficulty settings :D. I can't test the new version yet, but one thing I liked about the other version is that it was playable in the emulator as well, speed-wise.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

That looks really nice! Does the minimap serve any function? (Other than 'fancy')
ceci n'est pas une signature

nullweist

The minimap is the actual game. The game is scaled up in order to make it easier to see what is happening.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see. It actually looks cool anyway. Also it's a good move to use smaller resolutions for games that don't requires HQ graphics. It's faster.