Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Pong for KnightOS - An example C project

Started by SirCmpwn, April 23, 2015, 12:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 26, 2015, 04:26:20 PM
Oh OK, I thought it absolutely required the 2048 bit RSA key. That said I am betting that as soon as hacks or third-party OSes using them come out, then TI will patch them >.<

Nope. Apparently TI messed up the ASIC, so the only way to fix them is with a very expensive hardware change.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah right, fail on their part then. I'm betting they would be ready to do anything at any cost to lock down their calcs, but since they seem to try less hard on Z80/ez80 calcs, then I bet it will take a few years before it happens (maybe only on their next calc?). I guess we have the path cleared to a certain extent for now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Lionel Debroux

QuoteThe game works great and I was able to fix a few problems with KnightOS's C support while making it.
Small projects, especially for new platforms / environments, usually have that effect. In 2011, advancing an old Lua port to the TI-68k/AMS series, and partially porting "p14p" python-on-a-chip to the same, yielded improvements in GCC4TI.
That's also why in 2010, I suggested the making of a demo (in the demoscene sense) for the Nspire platform.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

SirCmpwn

Quote from: Lionel Debroux on April 27, 2015, 05:36:12 AM
QuoteThe game works great and I was able to fix a few problems with KnightOS's C support while making it.
Small projects, especially for new platforms / environments, usually have that effect. In 2011, advancing an old Lua port to the TI-68k/AMS series, and partially porting "p14p" python-on-a-chip to the same, yielded improvements in GCC4TI.
That's also why in 2010, I suggested the making of a demo (in the demoscene sense) for the Nspire platform.

Yep, that was the goal of this project in the first place. I'll be doing a few more projects with the same goal in mind.

Dream of Omnimaga

Now that Lionel mentions the TI-Nspire, that makes me wish that Jacobly and Calc84maniac's respective attempts at creating TI-84+ emulators for the Nspire came to fruition. I don't remember if there is any other such project in the works, but it could be a way for people to use KnightOS on their Nspire if there are no plan to port KOS directly to that platform. But I guess that's for another topic.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 27, 2015, 05:43:33 AM
Now that Lionel mentions the TI-Nspire, that makes me wish that Jacobly and Calc84maniac's respective attempts at creating TI-84+ emulators for the Nspire came to fruition. I don't remember if there is any other such project in the works, but it could be a way for people to use KnightOS on their Nspire if there are no plan to port KOS directly to that platform. But I guess that's for another topic.

matref has ported z80e (the KnightOS project's emulator) to the Nspire, and I would love to see more contributors come in and help develop it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah thanks for pointing out. Now that you mention matref, I think I remember hearing some tidbits about such project. I didn't know it went this far, though.

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 27, 2015, 05:47:56 AM
Ah thanks for pointing out. Now that you mention matref, I think I remember hearing some tidbits about such project. I didn't know it went this far, though.

Unfortunately, no one is really working on z80e right now. It's the default emulator for the SDK, and it powers the live demo on knightos.org, but it can't emulate TIOS and it has poor performance.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah ok thanks for clarifying. As for performance I remember issues about lag and stuff. On my 2010 computer, when I had juju's topic open (which had the emulator embedded in) my browser would take 100% of the CPU and my mouse cursor moved at about 2 FPS when it was loading. And when it was done loading, typing posts was like 4 letters per second max. Hopefully if this project gets revived, you guys can find a way to get it run faster on older machines.

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 28, 2015, 07:35:25 PM
Aah ok thanks for clarifying. As for performance I remember issues about lag and stuff. On my 2010 computer, when I had juju's topic open (which had the emulator embedded in) my browser would take 100% of the CPU and my mouse cursor moved at about 2 FPS when it was loading. And when it was done loading, typing posts was like 4 letters per second max. Hopefully if this project gets revived, you guys can find a way to get it run faster on older machines.

It runs at a much more reasonable speed natively. It's just in the browser that performance is abhorrent.