Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nagoji 20x15 [HP Prime][HP PPL]

Started by alexgt, July 22, 2015, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the 8x8 and 16x16 renditions of Walrii. That said, the 24x24 sprite was designed to be useable in 16x16 games too, though. His eyes and legs can overlap a bit on the tiles so it looks a little more 3D-ish and it still looks nice. Plus since walruses are quite fat they probably can squeeze a bit through narrower areas anyway.

I believe some 8 and 16 bits games did that too. But it's ok if you want to use a 16x16 sprite instead. I made one once but I don't think it turned out very well.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Actually the walrii doesn't look that bad (I might change the left eye a bit)
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 24, 2015, 03:04:24 PM
Actually the walrii doesn't look that bad (I might change the left eye a bit)
I think you could make the game with a 24x24 walrii...  Looking at the screenshot... :P With a 16x16 player to :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Maybe but I would preffer a 16x16 walrii

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 24, 2015, 06:25:00 PM
Maybe but I would preffer a 16x16 walrii
I guess you'll know when you put the sprites in :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Didn't somebody make a 16x16 walrii? also maybe you could try scaling it with linear scaling to see how that looks, considering the prime has more colors than other the cse and such
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Yeah, DJ made one, as well as sifodias.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I posted one above and Sifo posted his in the Walrii fanart thread.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

I want to start on this project and advance it more because as of now I have no code written <_<

DJ: since this is my first RPG where should I start? Should I get the game mechanics all layed out?

Unicorn

I say you should start with movement between rooms and getting the rooms organized first.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

I have started this now and am gaining pace. The environment will be stored in a matrix that will be 15 units tall and as many wide as it needs to be and it will scroll freely to the left and right but when moving up and down the screen will stay stationary.

alexgt

Changed the name to Nagoji 20x15 as that is the number of tiles there are n the screen.

Also should combat sequences go into a different screen like pokemon or should they happen in real time, I am leaning twords real time :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: alexgt on August 23, 2015, 11:48:38 PM
I want to start on this project and advance it more because as of now I have no code written <_<

DJ: since this is my first RPG where should I start? Should I get the game mechanics all layed out?
Wait, Nagoji is an RPG? ??? If you meant another game then an RPG requires plenty of planning, even a smaller scale game like FF:MF. It's best to start smaller with like 1 dungeon and battles, then slowly expand as you get better. But also an RPG requires planning in Notepad, image editors or something.

If the RPG is in fact Nagoji 20x15 being turned into one, then I guess action battles would be better, if kept simple and ninja-themed. You could still keep the same theme but change the controls. Defense moves could be dashing, crouching and jumping, while attack moves could involve sword moves and charging at enemies.

alexgt

Yup Nagoji 20x15 is a RPG where you go to seek the miseries of your sudden pixelation. The sequels will be less and less pixely as you continue your quest.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I see now, but will it retain parts of the original gameplay?