Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Spaghetti Dungeon (Formerly Raiders)

Started by mazhat, May 06, 2017, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazhat

Yes! Inexplicitly named MOS Raiders.

For the last two months I haven't presented anything to show you.

That ends now!

Featured here:
-Tilemap
-Collisions to walls
-Stabbing and stabbing downtime
-Diagonal movement
-Player colorblindness

MOS Raiders will be a Zelda-like game. I decided that Zelda is a pretty simple concept, somehow Zelda AI is simultaneously
simple but difficult as death.

MOS Raiders gets the name from you being able to raid organisations.

It will probably have perma-death, whether it's optional is being decided.

Maps could be persistent if there's enough memory, otherwise I'll use procedural generation,
and if worse comes to worst I'll use random generation.

I usually like to leave pixel art up to the imagination, but
this is what goes through my head when I see the character.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

mazhat

Update: Gonna figure out how to use Axe to my advantage and get a dynamic amount of enemies instead of the fixed amount I planned originally.  New maps are being created.
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

MateoConLechuga

This looks really sweet! :D It kind of reminds me of blockdude style fighting heh. Keep up the good work! :)

mazhat

Glad you like it!
This project will be my first calculator game that will be released.
Hoping that everything goes smoothly.
Sketti

tr1p1ea

Raiders reminds me of Indiana Jones :). Make it a whip and you're set!

Looks awesome :).

xMarminq_

The movement looks really smooth! Shame I don't have a Ti-84...
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

mazhat

Indiana Jones was def in the back of my mind.

Hmmm, maybe a port is in store? :^)
(Whether it be for pc or colour calculator, if I get one)
Sketti

Hayleia

Looks nice already :)

However, if I were you, I'd make sure to keep the code legible, especially for a Zelda-like game. Maybe you want to share the source for people to help you with that, or maybe you just want to read posts about how to write legible Axe. But in any case, don't keep writing "code that works" and that you understand while it's only 100 lines long but that you won't understand when it's 2000 lines long... Be sure to write code that still works (of course) but that you'll always understand later. For example, don't use GDB1 to store your maps, and Str1 to store your sprites, and ABC...Z to store your variables, but use custom readable names.

mazhat

Oh boy, you can trust that I'm trying as hard as I can!
The code I've written so far has very ugly code.
The thing that makes it readable is the comments
and the fact I try to keep everything in it's own sub program.

I never learned how to make beautiful code
since I was self taught,
and now I fall into every programmers pitfall!
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

This looks very good. :D Good luck on this project and make sure to keep it simple at first :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

Thanks for the support, Dj.

I had superstar hero in mind when I came up with how the game should play out. This game could have been turn based otherwise.
Sketti

mazhat

Update:
Now you can explore whole galaxies.
Universes of nothing but brick and sand.
You can roam forever and never find the room you started out in.
The universe is indifferent to your eternal hike.
Sketti

Pieman7373

• Calculators owned: TI-80, TI-81, TI-82,TI-83+, TI-84+SE, TI-84 Pocket SE, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92, TI-92 plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Atari 2600, Sega Genesis (model 2), Sega Game Gear, Playstation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: mazhat on May 14, 2017, 08:26:23 PM
Update:
Now you can explore whole galaxies.
Universes of nothing but brick and sand.
You can roam forever and never find the room you started out in.
The universe is indifferent to your eternal hike.
Awesome. Also I'm happy that Superstar Hero inspird you ^^

Will there be checkpoints you can place so that you don't get lost?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

mazhat

@Pieman7373 I hope I can honour you with this RPG, Mr.Pie.

@DJ Omnimaga 

Raiders is a game about secrets. The progression is loose, you can
go where ever you want and still win. If you miss an item it will not make the game any harder (generally speaking).
Regardless, the map is small in relative terms. 10*8 is the size for now (Very small).

I hope to make the map intuitive enough to not need checkpoints, but we'll see how it plays out.

Also sorry for misleading you guys. The description I made in the last post was a dramatised way to
say there's no borders to the map, so it reads everything in the user space instead (hope that's not a misnomer)!

Sketti