Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Librecalc is dead D:

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 17, 2015, 03:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Well... it seems that the new French exam restrictions coming in place in 2018 have led to LibreCalc demise D:

http://www.librecalc.com/

It was meant to be an open-source calculator dedicated to rival TI, Casio and HP, but they say that the new exam restrictions goes against their wishes of having an open calc, so they have stopped. The lack of interest from teachers was also a factor. I kinda wish that they had continued for at least US and other markets, but I guess in the case of USA since many schools force people to ditch their TI-84+ for a Nspire that would have been hard.

So yet another open source calc project bites the dust...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, that sucks. Stupid French regulations.

Their other projects looks quite nice, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Well, fack, I'm more and more angry at this poor choice they made. Welp, it could have been a fun calc to program on.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Yuki

Their goal was to make a free calc you could take your exams with, but it's apparently not doable with the regulations.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Unless they put said exam mode and try to get an permission from the government, but hey, try winning to lottery instead, you'll have better chances to! :|

Legimet

As much as I hate CollegeBoard, at least they don't have restrictions like this.

CKH4

:( so sad this was starting to look promising.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Juju on March 17, 2015, 07:06:58 PM
Their goal was to make a free calc you could take your exams with, but it's apparently not doable with the regulations.
Yeah. IMHO they should have changed direction a bit and added a LED. It wouldn't have been free anymore but it would have done the job for exams. But again, maybe they planned to allow people to do everything they want with it, which could explain their decision. Still a shame, though.

Also I hope those exam restrictions from France won't ever come to USA, Canada and everywhere else. On the other hand, if they do that, this could at least postpone the arrival of tablets and smartphones at exams, prolonging the life of the calculator community even further and allowing more time for TI/Casio/HP to innovate.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Wait, aren't these restrictions coming from US? I remember reading that the Push to Exam mode was largely used in US Universities thus making TI very used there. (And I remember reading about a patent owned by TI for the Exam Mode with said LED in the design)

Dream of Omnimaga

It's used and we have restrictions, but AFAIK a LED is not required in every school.

novenary

These restrictions are stupid. But again, exams are stupid.

Snektron

everything is stupid  >:( <insert existential crisis>
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Streetwalrus on March 18, 2015, 10:17:54 PM
These restrictions are stupid. But again, exams are stupid.
It depends what exams. If someone only scores 20% in his native language's grammar and writing tests and he's planning to pursue a career into something where he needs to write letters, for example, then I think exams are justified. Imagine otherwise if you were waiting for a confirmation letter that you got accepted at university, but that latter was riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes. >.<

As for calc restrictions, what sucks is that in France, now all calcs that lacks a LED will be banned, meaning calc companies need to spend money to change their calc design and implement exam modes and will most likely send the bill to customers via increased calculator prices. This also means that students will have to replace their calculator if the one they had lacks a LED and won't be able as much to buy an used model for cheaper.

novenary

What I mean is, exams aren't representative of any real life situation. Everything that's considered cheating is a tool that you will actually use later on. Forbidding the use of such tools does more harm than good imo because you don't get to learn how to use it and then struggle with it later. In the case of calcs, that's at the same time an anti-progress thing, since modern technology is part of everything now.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

This problem is a reflect of our society : we should be able to think by ourselves without any tools, that's why they're forbidding anything else than a calc. The calc is only for solving complex operations (we aren't going to calculate arcsine anymore, that would be stupid and pretty hard) but we should be able to think of the reasonning without having some sort of crutch that could give it for you.