Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sorcery of Uvutu - Screenshots

Started by 123outerme, November 10, 2015, 08:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4ooo

This project is looking great :D
If you ever get into PC programming, you should totally port it ^.^ (but with slightly better graphics)

alexgt

Wow looking great, I wish I had a calcc to play it on <_<
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

123outerme

Quote from: c4ooo on January 04, 2016, 02:41:17 AM
This project is looking great :D
If you ever get into PC programming, you should totally port it ^.^ (but with slightly better graphics)
Thanks! I plan to get into PC programming at some point, but not sure if I'll ever create games. If I do and feel like porting it, I'll port it and update the systems.
Quote from: alexgt on January 04, 2016, 03:30:25 AM
Wow looking great, I wish I had a calcc to play it on <_<
Thanks! Yeah, I feel the same for about every good looking monochrome game that comes out. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I like the new screenshot. By the way I have some more suggestions:

-Make the title on a different color background, maybe with some pixels turned back to blue colors on each side to make it look like a papyrus? You would probably need to make the title black, though, or something.

-Side quests: Side quests could involve locked chests in the first few worlds that can only be opened using a key you get near the end, and one of the worlds could have a bonus dungeon that can only be accessed by using special items acquired in said chests. The bonus dungeon could feature enemies harder than the final boss, so leveling up in the final dungeon would be required.

-Expanded story: Right now, all we do is warp to a new world then fight the boss to unlock the next world and we can do so without ever talking to a single NPC. Perhaps some parts of the game should require getting passports and such items from specific NPCs in order to travel further, with perhaps one episode of backtracking (eg if someone in world 5 lost his necklace in world 3 and gives you a passport to open a locked door in world 5 that leads to the boss). That wouldn't require adding new maps, but might require adding extra events.

-Make bosses have more HP, but also make spell upgrades cause more damage, because after an upgrade, I noticed that all it does is an extra damage point, nothing else, so upgrades are pretty much useless right now.

-Maybe some enemies could be immune to specific attacks (eg blaze)?

I can't think of anything else for now, though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Here's the new 0.63b screenshot:

Added some stuff like elemental effects, like DJ Omnimaga requested above. As for sidequests, I was thinking of making it so the code to load a certain chest only activates when you have a specific item. This could be a quest item, or one of the levels of the teleport stone. I can expand the story. I was thinking of having an intro screen when a new game was started, but other than that, I'm not quite sure what I should do (of course except tell the story through NPC dialog, but I've been doing that all along).

Dream of Omnimaga

Locked chests would be a nice addition. Make sure to add one in each world that you have to open later, like in the NES Final Fantasy ^^. An intro screen would also be nice, even if simple, and perhaps make some NPCs say different stuff based on quest completion.

Perhaps title screen improvements like this, using the current tiles? (even if it's not real 3D)

Another idea I have would be to do something like First Fantasy: Mana Force and Final Fantasy VI, where past a certain point of the game, all areas would change color hue to look like a post-apocalyptic scenery. You would need to use the real(0,3,5,<color offset> command, but you would have to make sure to use real(0,3,5,0 before drawing anything else than map tiles to reset the colors back.

Btw, I noticed you forgot to use real(0,3,5,0 at the game start. If you run another game that changes the color offset to 25, for example, then this is what Sorcery of Uvutu will look like without the real(0,3,5,0 command:

Also you could use real(0,3,5,<color> to create special magic animations (eg store the values you want in a list to create a fire animation by just redrawing the enemy or character sprite over and over using different color offsets)

The other ideas I have are optimizing, if any else is possible. For example, make sure that in the main walking loop, there is absolutely nothing other than updating the display content. The loop must be exited when colliding with any wall or even tile or when pressing MODE and 2nd. That causes some slowdown when colliding with a wall, but at least it makes walking much faster because during walking there's nothing else slowing execution down in the loop.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 25, 2016, 03:56:42 AM
Locked chests would be a nice addition. Make sure to add one in each world that you have to open later, like in the NES Final Fantasy ^^. An intro screen would also be nice, even if simple, and perhaps make some NPCs say different stuff based on quest completion.

Perhaps title screen improvements like this, using the current tiles? (even if it's not real 3D)

Another idea I have would be to do something like First Fantasy: Mana Force and Final Fantasy VI, where past a certain point of the game, all areas would change color hue to look like a post-apocalyptic scenery. You would need to use the real(0,3,5,<color offset> command, but you would have to make sure to use real(0,3,5,0 before drawing anything else than map tiles to reset the colors back.

Btw, I noticed you forgot to use real(0,3,5,0 at the game start. If you run another game that changes the color offset to 25, for example, then this is what Sorcery of Uvutu will look like without the real(0,3,5,0 command:

Also you could use real(0,3,5,<color> to create special magic animations (eg store the values you want in a list to create a fire animation by just redrawing the enemy or character sprite over and over using different color offsets)

The other ideas I have are optimizing, if any else is possible. For example, make sure that in the main walking loop, there is absolutely nothing other than updating the display content. The loop must be exited when colliding with any wall or even tile or when pressing MODE and 2nd. That causes some slowdown when colliding with a wall, but at least it makes walking much faster because during walking there's nothing else slowing execution down in the loop.
That real(0,3,5 thing happened on my Calc, but I couldn't figure out why. Thanks! And I'll try to look at optimization again. And as for the title screen, what was the screen you were trying to show me?

Dream of Omnimaga

What do you mean by which screen to show you? Do you mean the first screenshot? Because in this case I was just demonstrating the weird stuff that happens if the color offset is not reset before the game starts.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 27, 2016, 05:08:08 PM
What do you mean by which screen to show you? Do you mean the first screenshot? Because in this case I was just demonstrating the weird stuff that happens if the color offset is not reset before the game starts.
By, that, I meant when you said this:
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 25, 2016, 03:56:42 AM

You left a few blank lines, and I thought you were going to put a picture or video there.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I tend to do that with my posts to separate some parts, but I add too many linebreaks XD. /me thinks he got this habit from Critor :P

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 28, 2016, 07:19:02 AM
Oh I tend to do that with my posts to separate some parts, but I add too many linebreaks XD. /me thinks he got this habit from Critor :P
I do that sometimes too, and at first I thought a video was trying to load XD but it's all good.

123outerme

Shh... I didn't drop this preview of the fifth world here...

Dream of Omnimaga

I like it. Will there be more tiles in the enemy area such as palm trees, cactuses or something? Or will it just be a beach setting with rivers? Also, it would be fun if there was a way to sail a boat to reach a northern island (eg maybe make the final area so that it's not reachable via a special stone item, but rather by boat, but require an item from the 7th area?)

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 04, 2016, 06:51:33 PM
I like it. Will there be more tiles in the enemy area such as palm trees, cactuses or something? Or will it just be a beach setting with rivers? Also, it would be fun if there was a way to sail a boat to reach a northern island (eg maybe make the final area so that it's not reachable via a special stone item, but rather by boat, but require an item from the 7th area?)
I might add some more scenery, I probably have all the tiles I'll need for now.
That's not a bad idea, and sounds like something I'd actually do. I'll work on that!

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, how many tile appvars do you use right now? I know that xLIBC has a bug preventing tile display from the 2nd pic from working properly, so technically we can only use 1 pic at a time (Kerm explained how to use both as I misunderstood how it worked, except that even his trick didn't work due to the bug), but I was curious about if there could be a way to spice some of your maps up to have more than two wall tiles per dungeon.