Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The Powder Toy!

Started by Strontium, May 17, 2015, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strontium

I recently discovered The Powder Toy and its a really awesome game. You can create anything from a basic 8 bit computer (with RAM and everything!) or a nuclear reactor. So, here's a thread to post your creations!

Heres my powder based power plant, for example:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
http://powdertoy.co.uk/Browse/View.html?ID=1790747

It works by disintegrating (nearly) every type of dust with acid. This produces heat, which is conducted through the gold, heating up the water and turning it into water vapor.

Here is a deuterium-based nuclear reactor I made:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
http://powdertoy.co.uk/Browse/View.html?ID=1790646

This one works by releasing a few neutrons into a tank filled with deuterium, causing even more neutron to be created, and generates lots of heat. Its controlled by using SPRK on both of the wires. The upper one releases some neutrons, the other releases deuterium. Once you release the first neutron, the only thing you have to do to keep it running it supply more deuterium.

Of course, my contraptions are pretty lame. Here are some much more amazing things:
World Generator: http://powdertoy.co.uk/Browse/View.html?ID=1253965
Plutonium Reactor: http://powdertoy.co.uk/Browse/View.html?ID=257313
Computer (prints Pascals Triangle by default): http://powdertoy.co.uk/Browse/View.html?ID=1570768
Another computer (much more interesting to look at :P): http://powdertoy.co.uk/Browse/View.html?ID=427363
  • Calculators owned: TI Nspire CX, HP Prime
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: NES

Unicorn

Ya know, there is one of these for the TI 83+ and TI 84+ ;)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Strontium

Well, I'm willing to bet that it wont let you simulate plasma guns!

alexgt

Looks cool downloading now :)

EDIT: Done downloading :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Yuki

Yeah I was playing a few years ago, it's pretty fun :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember playing around with another of those on Omni, but it was much more simple (although the graphics were similar). I wonder how fast such thing would run in Ndless...
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

It would run very, very slow. Its extremely easy to get running slowly on even a mid-range PC.

Thread about porting the game to mobile devices, all the replies are reasons why it can't happen.. It applies to calculators too :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow I didn't know it was that intensive. But what if it was made simpler like some of the TI-83+ ones?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Strontium

You could probably do *some* physicsy things, but things like air pressure don't seem feasible.

alexgt

It would be cool to see stuff like this for the Prime since it has touch screen.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

bb010g

Quote from: alexgt on May 18, 2015, 03:45:12 AM
It would be cool to see stuff like this for the Prime since it has touch screen.
If it can lag on a cheaper laptop...even with a C-compatible custom firmware...:(
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Strontium

I've discovered a way to get energy from a nuclear reactor without using water!

First, you have your generic deuterium reactor producing neutrons. The thing is, this time, we are not doing it for heat. You can send the neutrons flying through glass, and some of the neutrons will turn into protons.

Then, have the protons fly through some bizarre, which will turn the protons into electrons. Both protons and electrons can pass through bizarre effortlessly, so there is no problem.

Have a sheet of metal (preferably Tungsten) to snatch up all of the electrons. They will all get turned into sparks and get sent flying down the wire.

Snektron

I remember playing this a few years ago. At one point my little brother used to do it every day. Also every one in "group 8" (the last year if promary school in the nl, age ~12) used to do it and most of the freshmen the next year too. It was quite popular here.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Hmmm got to try it! I wonder is there are servers...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

I think it's a single player game. Though some have some kind of local multiplayer where you can play as some kind of platformer stick men
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...