Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Walriimon [PC][Godot]

Started by Scipi, January 21, 2016, 02:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipi

I think it's about time I introduced the project I've spent the last several weeks working on. This was supposed to be in the recent CodeWalrus contest but as it turns out, battle systems are a pain to code and I didn't have enough time to complete the project. Some of you may already have seen my video from the contest thread. If not, you can see more or less the current state of the project here:

Some updates to that:
- We now have a WIP text system in the game
- Walking animations and direction facings
- You can activate things
- Textures have been sharpened a bit using linear filtering, instead of bilinear.

So what is this project? It's basically Pokemon with Walrii. :D Once finished, you will be able to go out and capture wild Walruses, train them, and pit them against other Walruses in mortal combat.

I do plan to make some departures from the classic Pokemon formula with this project. They are as follows:
- First, Walrii will have 6 moves instead of 4. And there will no permanent moves, like HM's. I believe this will make combat deeper, as status and stat changing moves become more viable to carry around. I find that in traditional pokemon, moveslots are at a premium so only using damage dealing moves becomes a First-Order Optimal Strategy (which is bad, see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6op8eV5OBwE)
- Next you, the trainer, participate in the battle. If you are K.O.'d, the battle ends. As the trainer, you are the only one on your team who can use items.
- Finally, battles aren't 1v1 turn-based affairs. Battles will take place on a grid, ala Fire Emblem. You and up to 3 Walrii move and attack on this grid against a competing team. I'll make some mockups of this when I can.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dudeman313

Cooool!!! :walrii:
Though I'd love to see this on the TI-84+ CE or in greyscale on the TI-84+ SE.
If you need a beta tester, I'm in.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Scipi

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 21, 2016, 03:02:41 AM
Cooool!!! :walrii:
Though I'd love to see this on the TI-84+ CE or in greyscale on the TI-84+ SE.
If you need a beta tester, I'm in.

The project is written in Lua using the Love2D framework. So it's possible I could make a port for Nspire or any other calc supporting Lua. However, an Axe/Z80/etc port is highly unlikely since I'm already depending on quite a few 3rd party libraries.

Dudeman313

Ok! I'd still want to test the PC version.
The answer is "Sure."

alexgt

Nice1 I am sad you didn't have time for the contest :'(
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

A Walrii-based Pokemon clone or RPG inspired by Pokémon would be cool. I once considered making one for the HP PRime called Pokéwalrus, but it would have been way different in the way that you are not a trainer but rather a group of walruses of different kinds.

Too bad you didn't have time for the contest, but I can probably understand with such project O.O. Also if you make it Fire Emblem style, it would be good to speed up the pace of battles and make sure they are intuitive to people not used to tactic RPGs or turn-based strategy games.

Do you have newer screenshots of videos of the progress?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Looks nice! Are you going to use all the current Walrii, or just the first gen Walrii?
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dudeman313

I think he should use all the current :walrii: , especially MegaWalrii :P
The answer is "Sure."

alexgt

You should make a game with the first gen and then when we have enough walriis make another game with the 2nd gen
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

SiphonicSugar

Wait, are you using all of the Walrii that have been made?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 28, 2016, 08:52:29 AM
Do you have newer screenshots of videos of the progress?

None yet, I still need to code the battle system, which could take a while.

Quote from: pimathbrainiac on January 28, 2016, 01:55:48 PM
Looks nice! Are you going to use all the current Walrii, or just the first gen Walrii?
Quote from: alexgt on January 28, 2016, 06:10:50 PM
You should make a game with the first gen and then when we have enough walriis make another game with the 2nd gen
Quote from: SiphonicSugar on January 28, 2016, 11:53:33 PM
Wait, are you using all of the Walrii that have been made?

I'll be using most of the walrii we have currently, including newer ones that pop up. :)

pimathbrainiac

Idea: have "legendary" Walrii (like Warii for the Original 5s (although I guess only two of the O5s have Walrii at this point)).
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

Using newer walruses would be nice even if second gen is far from complete. As for legendary Walrii's I like the idea, as long as it doesn't make the game unbalanced to the point where everyone just use the O5 non-stop then never use the weaker walruses again.

As for O5, only @aeTIos and @Juju lacks Walrii fanart at this point. , and if we also include non-founding past (Eiyeron) and present CW staff (Cumred and Ivoah), then we also got 
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

pimathbrainiac

Oh wait I forgot the original Walrii is you :P As for relative power, I think they should be balanced, but have some sort of unique move for each, like some generations of Pokemon do.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Araidia

Would EVs and IVs be included? I mean to say, how in-depth will Walriimon be?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard