Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

About fifteen years ago, part #2

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 01, 2016, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This is a follow up to my topic posted on July 4th about how it was my 15th calculator programming anniversary. Today, it's now Omnimaga's turn to reach its 15th anniversary. While I and some others of us are no longer active there due to previously explained circumstances, the fact remains that Omnimaga has been around for 15 years now. Also I am still the one who created Omnimaga in the first place, back on September 1st 2001, and it slowly grew into a large discussion forum and IRC channel. Perhaps, we never know, CodeWalrus might have never existed if Omnimaga had not lasted this long.

I don't say this loud, but I'm still hoping, one day, that the two sites can be re-united again, even if this is unlikely under the current Omni ownership structure. Regardless of what happens, the first calc group I created is now 15 years old and even if it's different today, the Omnimaga of the past still lives on as well, even if in a different form/name.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

You created Omnimaga the first September in 2001 ?
Damnit, you should have wait 10 days later before unleashing to the web !

The meger of Codewalrus with Omnimaga will happen, don't worry, it's just that Omnimaga will disappear, become a ghost town and everyone will retreat to codelwalrus.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: gameblabla on September 01, 2016, 08:01:34 PM
The meger of *Cemetech with Omnimaga will happen, don't worry, it's just that Omnimaga will disappear
Fixed. More seriously, though, if a miracle happened and Omnimaga had a major turnaround that allowed us to be staff there, then it would be much more logical for a merger to switch back to the Omni name, or at the very least rename Omnimaga's offtopic section to CodeWalrus and the music section to TIMGUL. I mean, I created all three sites but Omni is the one that has been around the longest and still has the highest amount of traffic. But I think the only way such merger would be possible is if two admins in particular stepped down to join Cemetech full-time and made Sorunome Omni owner (with CW staff footing the forums hosting bill).

Anyway it was weird how Omni started just 10 days before the end of the world as we knew it happened. Even weirder is the fact Omni JRPG website opened 8 days after April Fools Day  2004.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

how about the following:
both urls (omnimaga.org and codewalr.us) redirect to the forum (which got all posts from both omni and codew combined) and got either the omni or the codew theme, based on the url you used to access it :3 (redirecting plus ading style parameter) ^^
so we would still have both sites, each with its own theme, but both would be one again :) :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

There is already a CW-Omni crossover mockup that was made before CW became public, just in case. It looks like CW, but blue.

Dream of Omnimaga

Fun fact: Before Omnimaga got a website, there was Métranor, which was a French website, named after one of the choose-your-own-adventure comic books I made in 2000-01. The website had a Final Fantasy VII tricks and rumors section, as well as a section about the aforementioned CYOA books. But it suffered from the following problems:

-Geocities-style design, with the main page having a blue background with the red acronym RPG cycling through different fonts at fast speed. The FFVII page had a black background with white Final Fantasy VII text zooming it over and over. I don't remember what the Choose your own adventure comic book page used. In 2003 I replaced the web design with something more uniform, but still Geocities-like, to a certain extent.

-Back then, I didn't know that we had to name the front page as index.htm or index.html . I instead used siteweb.htm, and as a result, search engines never indexed my site and I got 12 visits in 2.5 years.

-When I redesigned the site in 2003, I couldn't even spell my former e-mail address right. I also couldn't even use special characters right in HTML and you can see the result with the "Coming Soon" section, which, btw, was the future Omnimaga site about to replace Metranor.

-I had the stupid idea of not backing the site up when I shut it down in May 2004. This page is all I kept as a backup: http://xlib.mtv-music-generator.com/omnimagaoldsite/metranor.html

As you might notice, it has the same background colors as the first Omnimaga download site http://xlib.mtv-music-generator.com/omnimagaoldsite/index_v1.html

On a side note, I am still the owner of http://z9.invisionfree.com/Omnimaga and am in charge of making sure the theme images there are still working. I still need to fix some of them. I was supposed to give that site away to Omni admins a long while ago, but after seeing omnimaga.org/images/screenshots no longer being browsable as it used to be soon after I stepped down in 2011, I decided to not take any chance. :P