Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nspire Emblem

Started by LD Studios, April 14, 2015, 02:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivoah

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on April 16, 2015, 07:19:40 AM
Does they have a good compression system? That's nice of them. YOu could be able to put a lot more into the project! ;)

I don't know much about their compression system, but memory isn't really a problem anyways on the Nspire.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends of the calculator model and OS I guess. On ClickPad/Touchpad models OS 3.9+Ndless combined leaves about 2-3 MB of Flash to the user, which is even less than the CSE. I guess just as long as the game doesn't take 50 MB alone then you should be fine. But I personally don't judge games solely based on file size if the size is justified so I'm gonna give this a try no matter how large it is, providing that my Nspire CX can run it.

By the way what is the minimum OS requirements for this Lua game? I know that many people decided to stick to OS 3.1 since it's smaller and they find Ndless less annoying to use on it, but by now most have switched to 3.6 or can't downgrade lower.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 18, 2015, 05:37:56 AM
It depends of the calculator model and OS I guess. On ClickPad/Touchpad models OS 3.9+Ndless combined leaves about 2-3 MB of Flash to the user, which is even less than the CSE. I guess just as long as the game doesn't take 50 MB alone then you should be fine. But I personally don't judge games solely based on file size if the size is justified so I'm gonna give this a try no matter how large it is, providing that my Nspire CX can run it.

By the way what is the minimum OS requirements for this Lua game? I know that many people decided to stick to OS 3.1 since it's smaller and they find Ndless less annoying to use on it, but by now most have switched to 3.6 or can't downgrade lower.

We use apilevel 1.0, so I think that works on 3.1. Also would this work on the B/W Nspires since it uses color?
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

LD Studios

Yeah, images before OS 3.6 are stored as a string rather than an actual image file, which is why they take up a lot less space. Starting with OS 3.6, images are implemented completely different and they take up a lot more space. We're using apilevel 1.0 which means smaller image sizes and available on every OS supporting lua (I think...). And yes ivoah, it should work on BW calcs, but it might not display well depending on the color contrast.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, on grayscale calcs the colors are just converted to grayscale. Also I am surprised that strings take less space considering on the TI-84+CSE xLIB sprites stored as strings inside TI-BASIC programs instead of appvars take twice as much space.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Ivoah

Do you think we should try and make it look good on grayscale calcs?

Dream of Omnimaga

Considering that they're discontinued since 2011 and that most people are getting the CX now, I think you should focus on color calcs. I doubt it will look that bad on grayscale calcs anyway, plus people stuck to monochrome calcs for years before. Just make sure to not do stuff like middle green text on red background.

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Mmh, some work could be done on monochrome sprites. They could be a good work on contrast and how to manage to have a black and a white team without losing details or visibility.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Ivoah

LD Studios: Think you could make custom sprites so we don't have to rip assets from FE?