Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[SUGGESTION] [DISCUSSION] [controversial?] Forum Structure Overhaul

Started by aetios, December 10, 2015, 04:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

We can move gradually, maybe. Eg. renaming some forums at first while keeping the old name in it.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. One concern I have is about having to spend an entire day redoing the layout. I only am supposed to work three days next week but they are Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, which means I work 7 days in a row, and I have holidays as well. There will most likely be some topics moving around over time with renaming.

Also, do you think the dev section content could be made more visible, so we see the platforms, or should they remain the way they are in your post? I was thinking that perhaps that section might look too small compared to the rest and it might look like we are giving less attention to programming overall compared to stuff like movies/anime, for example.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

Guys, the forum structure overhaul is now underway, slowly. Some boards have been renamed and moved, but topics have yet to be moved and it's only the start.

One last question: Where should board/card games be located? It doesn't seem to fit multimedia well, but gaming is there. Should it be in General, Multimedia or Miscellaneous? And should it be a sub-forum of gaming?

Also for the time being, I think the calculator sub-forum we will end up with will remain split in two categories for the time being, but only 1 big category will be visible in the sub-forum list and the tutorials sub-forum will merge with programming (project showcase)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Araidia

• Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm thinking that such games fit more into media-type stuff, though (as in all forms of medias not just videos/music).

Also I know it has only been a few weeks since the major restructure, but I noticed that the opening of non-calc development forums have given more incentives to members to share their console/phone projects or non-calc stuff in general, which is good. Same for other topics, while still staying into media/gaming/coding in general. Which is good if that's the case. It's a shame otherwise when someone moves on from calc programming and leaves entirely due to lack of non-calc stuff.

Araidia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 06, 2016, 03:28:33 AM
I'm thinking that such games fit more into media-type stuff, though (as in all forms of medias not just videos/music).

Also I know it has only been a few weeks since the major restructure, but I noticed that the opening of non-calc development forums have given more incentives to members to share their console/phone projects or non-calc stuff in general, which is good. Same for other topics, while still staying into media/gaming/coding in general. Which is good if that's the case. It's a shame otherwise when someone moves on from calc programming and leaves entirely due to lack of non-calc stuff.
Yeah, and it seems that the restructure increased the amount of people joining.
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. It could have done so but January is usually when many people joins anyway, so that could be why, but a lot of people who joined participates in non-calc discussions as well which is good. We also still get a decent amount of calc discussion, which is good as well.

Now the thing would be to convince people to ask help on the forums instead of IRC, because it would benefit more people. Same for posting project updates. Stuff gets lost easily in the IRC logs >.<

Dudeman313

But I made a CEmu setup help thread, and no one replied... I use IRC when I can because there's a slight chance of instant input.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

That isn't really the topic for this, but yeah it might have been because nobody else is able to reproduce your problem, including the author. It could also be because you didn't provide enough information for CEmu authors about your problem (Windows version and service pack numbers, 32 or 64 bits machine/OS, screenshots of the error, etc). Just bump the topic again and @mention MateoConLechuga.

Dudeman313

You can just delete it; I got some answers at Cemetech, because I posted a screenshot there. It has something to do with my graphics card/drivers being outdated, and this dependency is being removed.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Nah it's fine and I see. It's best that GUI application won't require high graphic cards requirements for a larger audience.

DarkestEx

Interesting. I am alright with changes as long as my beloved Hardware section persists :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

It will :) (same for the other sections)

aetios

So, how far are we with implementing this? Are there any big changes that still need to be implemented?