Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

xlibman/DJ_Omni's possible move to Germany or France

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, December 27, 2017, 02:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

A few months ago, I began the process of moving to Quebec City in order to escape various social issues witnessed in my former city in the last 30+ years and due to my autism. Unfortunately, as it turns out, this only solved the privacy and public transit problems and everything else remained. In addition to that, the healthcare system and how it works is completely inadequate for my person as I can't even function on my own when it comes to papers and stuff. More importantly, there is a serious close-mindness about people with mental disabilities that resulted into me being unable to make much new friends and keeping them here, partly due to how unknown stuff like autism is over here (thanks to our poor healthcare system), which is weird considering in Qc City people are much more open-minded about other things than in my former city.
(Such as LGBT or ethnic groups). My mental health deteriorated to the point where I almost moved to Quebec literally in the middle of the night and left almost everything behind.

This is why in mid September, shortly after switching jobs (which I'm about to be forced to quit due to persistent depression and scars left by issues in my previous city), I began considering moving out of  Quebec province entirely, most likely to Germany or Guadeloupe. Eventually I ruled out Guadeloupe due to being to small but Australia became considered, with mainland France far behind. I am not comfortable with the idea.of moving to France due to ISIS and tolerance issues of their own, but I know many people there. Germany is very likely other than the fact I would need to learn German but I am generally not too bad at learning spoken languages, and Australia is another possibility. Ideally, though, I would probably choose which one of the three countries have the better public healthcare for autistic adults.

But yeah if this happens, this would most likely be in January 2020 or July 2020, or if my mental health won't improve, then that could be much sooner. The main obstacle would be losing what remains of my Quebec friends and that I would probably be forced to stay at the home of a TI community friend in order to be able to afford the rent. It's also possible that I am.permanently disabled and jobless and I would prefer not moving too far from downtown.

Chances of this happening are around 10% I would say and previously hovered between 0-2%, but that's still a 10%, split 45%-45%-10% between Germany, Australia and France, respectively. Hopefully it doesn't happen but I prefer to warn in advance in case it does.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

While I agree the Liberals here ain't helping making the system to be less of a pain for the last 15 years or so, I do hope they treat you well. In any case, you know you can count on me, if anything.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

_iPhoenix_

I think you could move to America. It's practically right there, and people are generally pretty nice and accept you for what you are. (usually)

Just don't move to a big city...
  • Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Yuki

If I were to pick a country, I'd probably pick one of the Scandinavian countries like Sweden, Norway or Finland. Heard they're really progressist, the complete opposite of Trump and they have pretty good music.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: _iPhoenix_ on December 28, 2017, 01:04:40 AM
I think you could move to America. It's practically right there, and people are generally pretty nice and accept you for what you are. (usually)

Just don't move to a big city...
The only reason why I ruled out America is Trump. Rent isn't an issue as long as I can live with another community member until I am allowed to work and split the costs. But again, it depends since there are chances that I am gonna be permanently disabled or partially. Healthcare insurance costs would also be a serious problem.

As for Europe it would have to be a country with free healthcare and with proper support for autistic people.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

AU is a good place to live, but it is expensive when compared to the rest of the world unfortunately :(. Plus the government has royally screwed our internet structure and stuff. The healthcare system here though supportive at times is VERY difficult to navigate and is currently going through a reform which may or may-not improve the situation (I think it's going to end up similar to what England has?).

I do often hear good things about Scandinavian countries as well, it might be worth a look - though I hope such a drastic change of environment can be avoided, if possible.

_iPhoenix_

Yeah, Sweden seems pretty nice.

It has one of the fastest internet connections in the world, too.
The public transportation appears to be very nice from what I've heard, and the healthcare is apparently amazing.

• Calculators owned: Two TI-84+ CE's
Please spam here: https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/spam/

"walruses are better than tuxedo chickens, all hail the great :walrii:" ~ me
Evolution of my avatar:

Dream of Omnimaga

Is Sweden close enough to Germany to make it easy to see German friends on a regular basis at minimal costs?

Turiq

For what it's worth, healthcare here is pretty hit-or-miss. It really depends on which doctor you end up getting.

Re: ease of travel between germany and sweden, it's about a day of driving if we're talking northern germany (going out from stockholm, at least, is in the 9-12 hour range), and two or three days for destinations further south. Not sure how the situation would be via public transit, but I'd imagine fairly similar.
  • Calculators owned: 84+SE, Nspire Cas, Nspire CX, Prizm
*blinks*

Yuki

Well, at least, the borders are open between any European Union countries, so at least that.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

DarkestEx

Like in the Netherlands, a lot of people are able to speak English here in Germany too. Unlike France, they don't seem to be that uncomfortable with it.
While that may not be true for small rural areas, in most smaller cities you should be able to get around with English reasonably enough.

However, I don't think another country would benefit you much. In fact, I think people with Autism actually don't like and can't deal well with change, so you may be better off staying in the same continent.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

So far it looks like I am staying put, as the medical help in Quebec City seems better and managed more properly than in Lévis (in hospitals, at least), and the wait seems shorter. Friend-wise we'll see. But yeah in the worst case scenario I am stillnot 100% ruling out such move.