Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Short Circuit - an electronics puzzle game [ti-83+] [ti-84+] [monochrome]

Started by JWinslow23, January 25, 2017, 06:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

A new update is available! Now, once you actually quit the game, the current runs until it can't anymore. Also, I fixed a small bug with the number display on the bottom.

Check the original link for the current download.

Dudeman313

Looks like one of those annoying pipe games but with a so much more unique title. I like it!  :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

I love that current animation. I will download the game when I have a chance. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

On a side note @JWinslow23 you should specify in the first post that CLEAR finalizes the level/make the current flow, because it took me a while to figure out how to finish a level <_<

Also how do you access the other mode?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Thanks for reminding me that this game (heck, even this demo) is not fully complete :P

There is no other mode. Right now, it's a permanent sandbox, mostly for testing. I should really get a jump on figuring out how to split currents :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok I thought this was the first level. I wasn't too sure what to do either so I'll have to check through the screenies again to remember. :P

mazhat

Ah, hardware games.

This game reminds me of Robot Odyssey with all the gates you got here. I miss sparky.
I hope you have a chance to complete this.

edit: Was there any inspiration behind this game? I'd love to know.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I hope it gets finished. Personally it reminds me a bit of Pipe Dream for Windows 3.1 but also those bot programming games. Builderboy made one of those for the 83+ years ago.

mazhat

Builderboy was the person who made the Code War port.
I don't think any competitions were held though :^(
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I forgot how he called the calc version. He participated to Cage Matches in 2010 on Omnimaga

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on March 15, 2017, 12:27:15 AM
Ah, hardware games.

This game reminds me of Robot Odyssey with all the gates you got here. I miss sparky.
I hope you have a chance to complete this.

edit: Was there any inspiration behind this game? I'd love to know.
No particular inspiration that I know of, although JWins might have one. We simply decided we should do a puzzle game as our first collaborative project, and settled on a technological theme. We then took that to mean "fix wiring issues in a circuit board", and then here we are now.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Pieman7373

Btw, I am really looking forward to the completion of this! :D  :w00t:
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, TI-81, TI-82,TI-83+, TI-84+SE, TI-84 Pocket SE, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92, TI-92 plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Atari 2600, Sega Genesis (model 2), Sega Game Gear, Playstation 2

mazhat

Pretty fascinating.
Could you go into more detail on how the puzzles will work?
An example level will suffice too :^)

I hope you have levels that take advantage of the spatial-logic as well as the regular gameplay.
Sketti

123outerme

Quote from: mazhat on March 19, 2017, 05:17:27 PM
Pretty fascinating.
Could you go into more detail on how the puzzles will work?
An example level will suffice too :^)

I hope you have levels that take advantage of the spatial-logic as well as the regular gameplay.
Each puzzle will have at least one input and output (where the energy "comes from" and where it ends up to complete the level). You have to get the current (or each current, if multiple are in play) from the input to the output, basically. There will be multiple voltages of energy (multiple types, basically). Various pieces like AND, OR, and NOT gates, diodes, splitter pieces, and more will be available to use, allowing for solutions to use bitmath and other neat tricks.

This isn't officially going to be a feature (hint: @JWinslow23 let's make this) but I imagine three modes for the game: Story, "Creative" (a better name should be chosen for this), and Sandbox. Story is the one we've decided on, where the user gets a finite amount of preselected pieces to solve the story missions. I imagine "Creative" to be Story mode but with unlimited pieces of every kind, making solutions as wild as the imagination could get. I believe we've already agreed that Sandbox should exist, a free-form mode where you can mess around with the game's mechanics.

Quote from: Pieman7373 on March 19, 2017, 04:09:32 AM
Btw, I am really looking forward to the completion of this! :D  :w00t:
Glad to hear! We'll be working on this more hopefully, meaning a screenshot maybe sometime soon.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I agree with Pieman about looking forward for this. I'm glad you guys are still considering finishing this :)