Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

First Fantasy: Mana Force Screenshot Thread

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 13, 2015, 07:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

You could do an Android remake? :P (once your other project(s) are done of course)

Also Gotos can cause memory leaks when misused, slowdowns and in my case the slowdowns would have become even worse after merging sub-programs together.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Unicorn

If you want any help with balancing/testing the game, I am available!

100th post :P :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest, if I ever need help to do this, it will probably require that people goes through at least 20-30% of Final Fantasy IV for the Playstation or Nintendo DS or One other FF game of the 90's that isn't Final Fantasy VI nor the American SNES/GBA version of FFII/IV. Nowadays people are so used to new RPGs that are overly easy and even show how many HP that bosses have left during battles. The early SNES or the PS1 RPGs are kinda what I am aiming for in terms of difficulty, but maybe with less grinding.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

This is the first boss after nerfing and all formula edits. Level 3 with 2 herbs and full HP recommended, but a bit of luck is needed at low level because the boss doesn't attack every turn. Not too hard to reach but next dungeons won't always be so easy, especially the magic tower where regular attacks are banned.

There will eventually be an animation or set of text at the end of every boss fight, though.

In the original game, you didn't exit dungeons after the fight, but if you saved then reloaded your game you restarted in the village anyway, so now it's just automated.

Dream of Omnimaga

Major update: Boss outtro done!

This animation will happen after every boss fight except the last. The cyan color will be different for other bosses, though (for example, boss 3 has royal blue and boss 5 orange).

EDIT: Yet another screenshot, this time once you get 5 crystal shards causing the final dungeon to appear :D

So now, what remains to be done are the following:
-Ending
-Enemy balance for dungeon 3 through 8
-Maybe a different final boss?

Unicorn

I love that last screenie, I hope you have included an easter egg!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Thanks, and the easter egg has been in the game since early 2002. It's the 6th dungeon. Not that the dungeon itself is the easter egg, but the fact that it's a tribute to Illusiat 1 origins as LABYPROG.8xp (it even has a similar map) is an easter egg. Otherwise there is one in the code somewhere :P

novenary

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Question : why not keeping castle's background into a solid color (like gray) and make it transparent? It could look better!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I could do that, although that might be a little complicated in this particular case to fade it from the same colors as the sky to gray, due to the way xLIB palette is laid out. I will probably need a much larger list of data if I want to do that. Or I could make the castle fade only after the sky faded to red/black, which would be much easier, although the animation would be longer.

Thanks guys by the way :D

Snektron

Looks cool :D
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 02, 2015, 05:04:50 AM
Thanks, and the easter egg has been in the game since early 2002. It's the 6th dungeon. Not that the dungeon itself is the easter egg, but the fact that it's a tribute to Illusiat 1 origins as LABYPROG.8xp (it even has a similar map) is an easter egg. Otherwise there is one in the code somewhere :P

If (8==D)

? And there will probably be a walrii somewhere in there too
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

That isn't valid code. In TI-BASIC it's If 8=0 :P

But basically the easter egg involves the boss convo where he says which power the crystal shard he guards holds and the text code when you acquired the said shard. Walrii is not ruled out, although that would most likely increase the file size quite a lot :P (in xLIBC format, it would be 2048 bytes large in inline sprite form and in Celtic2CSE format it would be 576 bytes.) It would not impact speed, though.

Snektron

or just :"<ascii wallri>
im actually surprised there is no ascii wallri yet too
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Erm an ASCII walrii wouldn't even fit in the screen. Not even close in fact. Output shows 10 character rows and already fills the screen. Walrii in ASCII would require 24 on a calculator.

CKH4

Vertical text sprite? I don't know if you'd have enough color precision but it may be doable.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+