Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 07, 2016, 07:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So if you have a PS Vita/PS TV and don't have Ys: Memories of Celceta yet, then you should get it if you like action-JRPGs, because it's truly worth it. I just beat it by the way, although only in easy mode for now. It's a remake of Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the SNES/PS2 and Ys IV: Dawn of Ys for the Turbografx-16 and it's the only version of Ys IV that ever came out outside Japan.

They reworked everything in the game, including the storyline so a lot is different, and the addition of difficulty levels makes the game more forgiving to casual players, while still offering challenges to hardcore players. It's kinda like Zelda on steroids, but much more linear. I would say that the downside of this Ys IV remake is that there are long loading times, a lot of unnecessary dialogs near the end (eg when your entire party says "Don't give up Adol!" one by one, followed by "Let's do it!" or "Right on!" one by one, then "We should get going", followed by a second series of "Let's do it!" one by one then "Let's go!") and I think I ran into some glitches sometimes but other than that it's awesome. As for the load times they can be countered by pressing O through some of the cutscenes, which fast forwards through them.

The other game downside is something I'm going to spoil you: The ending. Basically, once the final boss reaches 0 HP, the game switches to a black screen saying "The End", instantly (no transition or anything).

[spoiler]Just kidding about the ending. However don't expect much of an ending, because they really went full NES mode there. Even some of my calc RPGs have more text[/spoiler]

And finally, I have the feeling that they were planning to add DLCs or bonus dungeons, but finally never did, because at the beginning there's a blocked mine entrance and there is no info about it anywhere online (most people even says there's nothing there). It looks like a bonus dungeon entrance, yet there is apparently  nothing special there.

Anyway, buy it or download it if you can find it. PS Vita JRPGs are friggin expensive per portable system standards in Canada now, even 1-2 years after they come out, so I kinda quit buying games for that system, but I got Ys long beforehand.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

I may try that one, especially since this one is translated, unlike the demo to the sequel.
DJ, have you tried the sequel ? (or at least the demo ?)
They both look similar so i expect both of them have that fun and satisfying gameplay.

Shame about the pricey memory sticks...
Each time i want to play a game, i can't because i already filled my 1GB of NAND space.

QuoteThe other game downside is something I'm going to spoil you: The ending. Basically, once the final boss reaches 0 HP, the game switches to a black screen saying "The End", instantly (no transition or anything).
lol, i died.
Worst of all, there are still some modern games that does this. (looking at you, Sniper Ghost Warrior)

QuoteAnyway, buy it or download it if you can find it. PS Vita JRPGs are friggin expensive per portable system standards in Canada now, even 1-2 years after they come out, so I kinda quit buying games for that system, but I got Ys long beforehand.
dis is sad.
Now all you got is Ys c for you to fap at home.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

I didn't know there was a sequel to this game. Or do you mean Ys III and/or Ys V?

Also I forgot to mention that they replaced a considerable amount of the soundtrack. Thankfully, many new tracks are amazing, such as this exclusive:

And this one:

And this boss theme:

However, I'm sad that they got rid of The Great Ordeal
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UZ0U9C6lxas

They also got rid of the field theme :(
https://youtube.com/watch?v=YDcE9gnAv0g

And Broken Glass (used in Comodo village in the SNES game):
https://youtube.com/watch?v=pIV6lf-MEoQ

And Beyong Reminiscense
https://youtube.com/watch?v=UZ0U9C6lxas

And many others (especially village themes used in the SNES version). Walking the Path of Legend is gone too it seems but some of the new songs sounds similar so I guess that's fine. In the SNES version, every single village had different theme songs. In the PS Vita version, if you take out Casnan and Danan villages, all other villages now have the same song in common.

I can understand getting rid of all Mask of the Sun exclusives and sticking to the Dawn of Ys songs, but The Great Ordeal was by far the best song. Maybe XSEED and Falcom lost the rights to use Yngwie Malmsteem work?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

gameblabla

QuoteI didn't know there was a sequel to this game. Or do you mean Ys III and/or Ys V?
Sorry, i actually meant Lacrimosa of Dana, as it looks similar to that graphically.

Quotelso I forgot to mention that they replaced a considerable amount of the soundtrack. Thankfully, many new tracks are amazing, such as this exclusive:
And many others (especially village themes used in the SNES version). Walking the Path of Legend is gone too it seems but some of the new songs sounds similar so I guess that's fine. In the SNES version, every single village had different theme songs. In the PS Vita version, if you take out Casnan and Danan villages, all other villages now have the same song in common.
I actually like the SNES tracks better, it's just more catchy.
Shame they didn't remade "A Great Ordeal" as that sounds pretty good (thanks dj for sharing).
And that Mega CD port of Ys 4, where is it ?  :'(

QuoteI can understand getting rid of all Mask of the Sun exclusives and sticking to the Dawn of Ys songs, but The Great Ordeal was by far the best song. Maybe XSEED and Falcom lost the rights to use Yngwie Malmsteem work?
Well, it seems like the neglected child in the family as it seems they never released an OST for that game, only for the Hudson-soft one.
Funny really.

Dream of Omnimaga

For the music, I like both SNES and TG16 because both have their ups and downs. On the SNES village music is much better but the tgfx songs have a different beat sometimes.

gameblabla

Yeah, the SNES and PC-Engine ost is not bad actually.
I find Lacrimosa of Dana's OST much better than Memories of Celceta, i'm sorry to say this.
In comparaison, Celceta is pretty bad...
At least that's more my stuff.

Some of my favorites:

Smash Up !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inq86UcbpRg&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgG8m6ulXj9E5gUDpg_HR6q&index=3

Next Step Toward the Unknown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiB6tFInblc&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgG8m6ulXj9E5gUDpg_HR6q&index=2

Iclusian Dance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EO_vDe_zeg&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgG8m6ulXj9E5gUDpg_HR6q&index=4

Lacrimosa of Dana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EO_vDe_zeg&list=PLzFTGYa_evXgG8m6ulXj9E5gUDpg_HR6q&index=4
I cried manly tears when i first opened up that demo and heard that...

Dream of Omnimaga

I actually still prefer Celceta by only a 0.1% margin. Maybe Lacrimosa of Dana will grow up on me more over time. My only real issue with Celceta is that they greatly reduced the amount of songs in it compared to its PCE and SNES counterparts. I think it went from 60+ tracks down to 35. Many removed songs were bad or just 8-bits, but the removal of many great songs made me sad. Although from what I noticed, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Oath in Felghana and Ark of Napisthim all omits the number from the title. It's like if they decided to start a new series based on previous games, and what I read somewhere is that they might just move some songs to future remakes and games.

By the way, Ys IV/Celceta story happens before the events of Ys III, but after the events of Ys I and II. Also, Ys V never came out outside Japan, so maybe that's why they removed the numbers? Basically, this is the order:

Ys Origins
Ys I
Ys II
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Ys: Oath in Felghana
Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand
Ys: Ark of Napisthim
Ys Seven

Not sure where Ys VIII is. Same for Ys Online (which no longer have anymore trace on the Internet due to the last servers shutting down in 2012)

Dream of Omnimaga

After upgrading stuff a bit and doing some quests, I ended up completing 99.7% of the map. It turns out that you can't 100% the map then get the final map completion reward in one game, so you need to beat the final boss, reach 100% map completition by going in the volcano (and at that point you can't come back in Casnan to talk to the guy to report your progress), beat the boss there (which took me less than 30 seconds on my second try) then restart a New Game +  .

Also it seems that the max level for characters is 60 in this game, but you can continue upgrading your stats via items and power-up your weapons. Anyway in my new game this is what things look like now, although Nightmare mode seems pretty insane (the first boss took me 5 minutes at LV 60 O.O)