Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Amazon Underground

Started by Araidia, November 07, 2015, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I'M suspecting that by offering this service, they lure people into buying stuff on it. This is like a grocery store, for example, where one of the item on sale will make them lose money on it or at the very best they'll break even on that item. Because that item attracts so many customers, they end up making even more money, because the customers will also buy plenty of other things, including overpriced food that isn't on sale, just so that they don't have to come back to shop for food again this week.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 29, 2015, 10:35:53 PM
I'M suspecting that by offering this service, they lure people into buying stuff on it. This is like a grocery store, for example, where one of the item on sale will make them lose money on it or at the very best they'll break even on that item. Because that item attracts so many customers, they end up making even more money, because the customers will also buy plenty of other things, including overpriced food that isn't on sale, just so that they don't have to come back to shop for food again this week.
This really was a one week action that is over since quite some time now. They gave away all apps for free, while still paying the app makers themselves. They might have made a little loss, but now I have to keep their app on my phone to keep the apps updated so they clearly won.
Also I have barely used up my credits and in the end forgot some apps that I really would have liked yo get for free.
I only downloaded a few ones like many others did too. So they haven't lost that much.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wait I thought this was permanent with this service. But it was definitively a good marketing tactic.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Quote from: DarkestEx on November 29, 2015, 10:41:40 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on November 29, 2015, 10:35:53 PM
This really was a one week action that is over since quite some time now. They gave away all apps for free, while still paying the app makers themselves. They might have made a little loss, but now I have to keep their app on my phone to keep the apps updated so they clearly won.
Also I have barely used up my credits and in the end forgot some apps that I really would have liked yo get for free.
I only downloaded a few ones like many others did too. So they haven't lost that much.
I even forgot I had the Amazon Underground Games.... :P
Still nice to be able to beat a game without spending money
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

I generally don't mind supporting game makers, but games have been so expensive in Canada lately ($79.99 for some new releases instead of $59.99 a few years ago) that such deals can be nice sometimes. I didn't take advantage of it, though, because I don't like Touchscreen-only games on such small screen unless the clickable stuff is really big.