Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

OS WAR!

Started by LD Studios, January 08, 2015, 12:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novenary

Lolno, they all will as they're actively updated. OS updates don't break as much as you think they do. The only things I see that might not work (and it's not even confirmed that they won't) are SC1 and UT because they're the oldest.

ben_g

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 24, 2015, 03:59:25 PM
Quote from: alexgt on June 24, 2015, 12:07:34 AM
I will upgrade to windows 10 when it comes out but right now I still have windows 7
I am contemplating doing it too, but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll have to make sure that what I have installed right now that I still use often will still run under WIndows 10. Also, keep in mind that Windows 10 removes some features, although you can still download them separately: http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-will-remove-some-features-and-apps-upgrading-windows-7-and-windows-81
There are iso's available of preview builds. You can download one and run it in a virtual machine to see if the programs you use still work in it. I have a preview build of it running on my laptop (as a dual boot alongside Ubuntu), and all programs I've used on it worked very well, even though they're not ported to Windows 10 yet. Even demanding software like games or Autodesk Inventor work without problems, though all programs I use are quite recent. I have no idea of how it handles older software.
One important thing I noticed about Windows 10 though is that it used the hard drive A LOT, especially when you haven't used it for a while. If you have an SSD, then this won't be a problem, but if you have a rather slow hard drive, then this can make the OS feel unresponsive at times. It has been slightly improved in the last few builds though, but if the OS you currently use already takes a while to fully start up, then you might want to think carefully about this.

Dream of Omnimaga

Hmm I know  my hard drive tends to be a bit on the slow side. I'll have to check if I can easily set up a SSD on this computer. But again, maybe I might be better off getting a new computer and wait .
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U