Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Looking for a good controller for retro gaming in particular

Started by Hayleia, August 21, 2016, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

Well, I got a Pi in December and it collected dust until now, so I just got a case for it and installed retropie :P
[spoiler=The case]

[/spoiler]

Anyway, as the title says, I'm now looking for a controller. And I can't find a decent one for a decent price -.-

Requirements:
- wired
- 4 buttons on the right side, in a cross shape (I'd say all controllers have that, except the NES ones)
- a D-Pad on the left side (probably all controllers have that)
- 2 shoulders
- a stick on both sides (that's what kills the SNES controller)
- at least 3 more buttons (for start, select and a general one)

Wanted:
- USB port (because adapters are annoying)
- 2 more shoulders if possible
- not fugly :P

So, good examples of that are the Classic Controller and its Pro counterpart. They have all the buttons asked for in Requirements and Wanted, they're not fugly... but they don't have an USB port.
Another example may be the XBox One controller, if it exists in a wired version. But for the price of one of those, I could get a new Pi, so that's a bit ridiculous.
An example of ugly one is the XBox 360 controller, or the Logitech F310.
That one would have been perfect too if wired, but nope.

Any suggestions?

gameblabla

I would have recommended to you the HORI Pokken Tournament Pro Pad if it wasn't for the stick requirement...
That controller is a wired controller that works perfectly on PC.
Maybe the GC controller with the official Nintendo USB adapter then ? Its dpad is kind of crappy though...

The Xbox 360 controller may not be the best looking controller but it's the one that feels the best in my opinion.
It would have been the best controller if it wasn't for that awful D-Pad...

Or how about the Saturn 3D Controller and buy a saturn-to-usb adapter ?
That controller is pretty good and it has all you need.
Except it has only one stick and no shoulder buttons...

I admit it's hard to find a good controller.

EDIT: There's also the PS1 DualAnalog controller that has concave sticks and i heard it's even better the later DualShock controller.
You will need an adapter for this one though.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

GalacticPirate

There may also have been the Wii U Pro Controller, which replaces the Wii CC/CCPro analog triggers and sticks by digital ones, but it connects via bluetooh and I know no way to connect it with Linux (its USB port only carries power, not data)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

gameblabla

Quote from: STV on August 21, 2016, 07:29:01 PM
There may also have been the Wii U Pro Controller, which replaces the Wii CC/CCPro analog triggers and sticks by digital ones, but it connects via bluetooh and I know no way to connect it with Linux (its USB port only carries power, not data)
You can connect it to Linux using a Cronus Max Plus and a usb bluetooth receiver but yeah, i don't think there is any other way to connect it to linux.
It really sucks its USB port only carries power, it would have been great for competitions and tournaments.

Other than the 360 controller, i don't know any wired controller that fills Hayleia's requirements. (or are good)
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

Quote from: STV on August 21, 2016, 07:29:01 PM
That's pretty much what I used with my Pi 3 when I used to have RetroPie on it, the whole system should support it and it's simple to setup. Of course, you'll need the Pi 3, which comes with Bluetooth, otherwise, I guess you can use a Bluetooth dongle in one of the USB ports.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Hayleia

@gameblabla aww, that Pokken controller looked so good, too bad it doesn't have sticks really. Even just with 1 stick I think I'd have taken it without thinking :(
And I already have a GC Pad with an adapter (several of them actually, for Smash :P) but the button layout on the left is completely weird when playing Kirby Super Star. Plus, it has a very low number of buttons for some reason (and 3 shoulders wtf, what's that number?). And yeah, I agree about the D-Pad, some arrows are registered when I never asked for them sometimes -.-
And lol at the Saturn one, does it have a disc drive or something? Because that shape wouldn't make sense otherwise :P

But the suggestion about the PS controller isn't bad at all though. I've found some ("fake" obviously) PS controllers with USB wires, so they may fill my needs perfectly. PS1 DualAnalog or DualShock or whatever, same thing.

@STV "wired" is a requirement, not "wanted". Otherwise, I'd have taken the one I mentioned on the last line of my post.

Well, at the very worst, I guess I could split my requirements in parts, like getting the Pokken one for games that don't require sticks (SNES ones for example) and the GC one for games that absolutely require sticks or whatever. But I'll have a better look at PS ones first :)

Thanks for the suggestions :)

novenary

GalacticPirate

@Hayleia I would definitely recommend you the Wii U Pro Controller in this case. The digital sticks are extremely precise, and it feels perfect for SNES games as well as for N64 games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Hayleia

Quote from: Streetwalrus on August 22, 2016, 06:03:21 AM
http://www.8bitdo.com has some REALLY cool controllers. They work via Bluetooth and USB.
Wow indeed, they don't look half bad, especially that one (could probably use one more button though :P).
They probably have way too many features though, like the wireless and all the compatibilities and upgradable firmware and whatever, all the kind of stuff I'll never use and explains the price that is higher than a new Pi and its case :(

Quote from: STV on August 22, 2016, 06:45:00 AM
@Hayleia I would definitely recommend you the Wii U Pro Controller in this case. The digital sticks are extremely precise, and it feels perfect for SNES games as well as for N64 games.
Seriously though, what did you not get in the "wired" requirement? -.-
It's not that I want a wire for decorating purposes. And the reason why I want a wire isn't that I'm against batteries.

And lol, I was reminded that I actually have a DualShock 4. And it works wired... but it makes games lag wtf? I mean, there is no frame drop when playing with the GCPad through an adapter but there is when playing with the DS4 through a standard USB cable. No idea what's going on. But in that case, maybe the NES30 has the same problem...

novenary

The nes30pro is the one I want as well, @aeTIos has ordered an fc30pro. You can find them for much cheaper on eBay if you look hard enough.

GalacticPirate

@Hayleia "You're against batteries" Yeah... but you can still remove the battery and connect it with the USB wire :P

Hayleia

Quote from: Hayleia on August 22, 2016, 07:17:41 AMIt's not that I want a wire for decorating purposes. And the reason why I want a wire isn't that I'm against batteries.
Quote from: STV on August 22, 2016, 08:04:08 AM
@Hayleia "You're against batteries" Yeah... but you can still remove the battery and connect it with the USB wire :P
Read these two parts again, use translators if you want and notice how you're completely off-road.

Hayleia

Unless my settings are stupid, I posted my last post yesterday at 8h24 and it's 12h33 (too lazy to remember if 12 is am or pm so I just use the 24 hour format) so double posting is allowed :P
Plus, it's for some kind of update, though it's not a project thread.

Well, update, I tried the wired XBox One controller, PowerA whatever, nothing knows about wired controllers anyway... and that's why it didn't solve my problems at all. Even Windows 8 didn't recognize it without installing drivers so you can guess that retropie is going to have a hard time. And as said previously, you can try Googling, it will tell you how to connect a wireless one but nothing knows about wired ones.

That's really ridiculous though. Why is there only the choice between "controllers with not enough buttons and sticks" or "controllers that do every single thing on earth and cost way too much for the little features you wanted and are even sometimes as annoying to setup as wireless controllers even when they are fully wired" or "Logitech F310"?

edit my settings are stupid, this post is stamped "10h39" :P

Hayleia

Sorry for triple posting but major update to the situation, and most probably the last one.
I just tried my Dualshock 4 again, but with another cable, and now the lag problem is gone.
I'm torn between WTF, being glad I have a controller that fits my needs or being mad that I had it all this time and didn't know it lol.

But whatever, problem solved I guess.

p2

What were the two cables? Could be interesting for others if they ever were in a similar situation :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)