Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Why I'm Not as Involved Anymore

Started by Dudeman313, October 23, 2016, 01:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

A lot of you might be wondering why I come and go and don't hang out here as much as I used too.

2 main reasons:

• Not a calc owner
  • TIME

The first one is self explanatory.
The second one needs a bit.

I'm trying to split my little free time between my vampires and leeches that are sucking it away.
I have FreeCodeCamp, new posts here, a tedious and demanding research paper, Geometry HW, Global HW, 3 books to read in the next 6 days(impossible!), my social life(limited), a project I want to start but don't know how, my laptop's battery and charger issues, changing my avatar, getting my nickname changed to Jkolade936, getting my real picture off of GitHub, getting to know my dad, thinking about completing Bob's Bad Day, thinking about the Axe game I started with @E37 , Robotics class, learning tennis, PC gaming, watching movies, dealing with my annoying 5 year old sister, chores, making more pixel art, checking out @JamesV 's progress on AB5, looking at Valhalla's demo, lamenting over my outdated graphics card, girl problems, checking out @MateoConLechuga 's new progress on Mario CE, wondering if @DJ Omnimaga will make more cool stuff, and being a good friend while sliding behind in English 9 and watching my Geometry grade drop.

Sadness.  :-|
Give me advice or whatever.  :-\
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Yuki

Eh, I know your feels. Myself I juggle with a ton of stuff like school, personal projects, this website, friends, family, money... Also, my calcs died/deep in a storage box behind more storage boxes/torn apart in pieces, so I'm probably no longer considered a calc owner either. Yet I'm still around!

Eh, I may have a ton of problems, but I still have a lot of friends I can count on.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

On the forum side of things, something I do when I am tired of busy and happen to check new posts is that I go directly in the development section to check project updates, then focus on other posts later. Other times I do the opposite, else I can't keep up.

About the calculator ownership issues, remember that CodeWalrus is not specifically a calculator site (in fact, we only have two calculator sections, aside from the featured projects), so you can participate in non-calculator discussions or share PC/mobile projects if you have any, same for your pixel art (I tend to think social networks aren't the best place to share project updates and art, because most people follows over 150 people there and will most likely not share/retweet, let alone reply). My interest occasionally shifted almost entirely from calculators a few times in the past, especially when I stopped programming for two years and half, but I'm still around. With school and other life duties it must be quite challenging, though.

Something I would suggest is that in topics you follow the most, you could click the "Notify" button, so you get an e-mail when someone replies to your post.

Hopefully things gets better for you and you can find extra free time. About the girl thing, don't feel bad if it doesn't work out, because many people don't have a girlfriend, even if they're over 40, and if people complain then it's their problem, not yours, since you live in United States, not North Korea.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Notifying me just aggravates me and fills my inbox.
Also, unless I stay away from here for about 2 months, I don't think I can free up my schedule.  :-\
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm I see. Hopefully you don't have to leave for good, though. X.x But yeah school in USA can be quite hectic
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

JamesV

Unfortunately, time is one of those things that many of us struggle to have enough of :( Human ambition always tends to overstep the boundaries of what we're capable of with the time that we have. Worse even, is that in my experience it tends to get harder as you get older in that more and more "real life" things come into play, such as marriage, having somewhere to live, having kids, etc. I'm 34 now, and never have enough time to do everything I'd like to.

All I can suggest is to make your peace with the likely fact that you can't do absolutely everything that you want, and to set priorities as to what things/activities are most important to you. It's easier said than done - especially at first - but over time you'll start to work out what things are most important to you.

I know for me on a personal level, I've not done much calc related work for the past 6 months or so due to lack of time, and other interests. I've dramatically cut back on other hobbies such as skydiving, due to having less time, and also financial reasons. I quit my band earlier this year, which was a tough decision that I question nearly every day, because the band tends to get a great response at shows and is gradually increasing its fan base. I miss it a lot. However, I chose that time to leave because we'd just toured the US (which is a big deal for a small Australian band) and it seemed like a great high note to finish on. In some ways I regret leaving, but I know it was logically the best time for it.

Generally I try to console myself my doing activities that interest me most at the time. So for example lately I've been playing more Diablo 3, although in a months time I'll probably not be doing that as often; I might be spending more time skydiving, or calculator coding, or writing short stories, or playing piano, or whatever tickles my interest the most. I know that for instance whilst I wish on some level that I was doing more calc coding right now and pushing along with AB5, Zargul, Thunderbirds and various other ideas that I have, the reality is that I'll get to them eventually when my priorities align better again, which always happens at some point :)

Sorry for the wall of text - but I guess what I'm trying to say is - don't be too hard on yourself. Try to find happiness in the "now", and don't stress yourself out too much over not being able to do everything at once. Life is a journey :)

gameblabla

Here are some of my suggestions on how to fix YOU

Quotemy laptop's battery and charger issues
buy a gamer's pc and throw away your stupid laptop

Quotelamenting over my outdated graphics card
or if you can't buy a new pc,
INSTALL LUBUNTU ON YOUR COMPUTER NOW
AND TAKE ADVANTAGE OF FASTER OPENGL GRAPHICS !
Approved by Richard Stallman, "the guy who sucks a dozen of gnus c***s" !

Quotegetting my real picture off of GitHub
nobody on github looks at your photo so they can chat with you on chatroulette

Quotemaking more pixel art
draw your art on paper and resize it down to 16x16.
Upscale with Waifu2x if needed.

Quotethinking about completing Bob's Bad Day,
Don't finish it : you'll become even sadder than you already are thanks to its ending.

Quotegetting my nickname changed to Jkolade936
just ask juju to do it for ya because in soviet russia, admins change your nickname for YOU

Quotelooking at Valhalla's demo
spoiler : its disappointing.

Quotechecking out @MateoConLechuga 's new progress on Mario CE
also spoiler : he did nohing and released nothing.
mateoc was too busy looking for funny videos

Quotedealing with my annoying 5 year old sister
i was going to help you suggest something to help her calm down but then i realised it would not work
in your case. so i didn't

Quotewondering if @DJ Omnimaga will make more cool stuff
dj is too sick, poor guy. he's working on pokewalrus for ce but that's it.
he needs more gay sex

Quotebeing a good friend while sliding behind in English 9
try to be an asshole, trust me you'll feel better.

Quotewatching my Geometry grade drop.
QuoteRobotics class
Quotewatching my Geometry grade drop
You know what ? Why worry about school stuff when you could just leave all of this s***
and pay for a new, tiny house and live there peacefully for the rest of your life.
You'll probably end up richer anyway because, you wouldn't have made any loans at all.
And money is what all matters after all

Wow, what a great ride !
Now you know how to fix YOU
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

@gameblabla that was bad trolling. Dudeman don't listen to him <_< (other than 1 and 2). 4 seems kinda weird and interesting at the same time, though, but not applicable in your case since you're looking at increasing your free time :P

p2

holy c gameblabla you're not supposed to instantly kill everyone in here :ninja:
maybe try to relax a little bit... O.o
btw... you don't "fix" living beings... (reminds me of the movie "Number 5 lives" lol)
rather replace them as repairs are expensive :trollface:

Now serious:
@Dudeman313: You should really try booting a Linux distribution from a USB or something, that should speed up your slow pc (tried it myself). I understand not everyone has the money for a great gaming laptop/pc, but you dont really need one anyways. I'm still rocking my 3Gig RAM and onboard graphics I bought in ALDI. And that's not even mine but our family computer. No need to be ashamed of a cty computer ;)
And for your grades: Dont give up. You don't need super good grades but try to get the best as possible :)
I sucked at so many classes and got my final exams with 3.2 and still I found guys that want to pay me for work ^^ So having bad grades is annoying, yess, but it doesnt kill you, keep that in mind ^^ (but thats no excuse not to try!). Just KEEP YA HEAD UP and keep on trying!  :thumbsup: (rip tupac)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

@p2 don't you mean the Tusk 2014 movie? :P

Also p2 he's minor for now with little to no income. So buying a new computer would be quite hard anyway.

Dudeman313

I think I will try Lubuntu, because I have 2 hard drives, and one has Windows Vista on it, while the other contains Windows 10. My issue is that tho I have enough RAM (2 GB) do I have a processor that is too old? My processor Is Intel Pentium Dual Core.

And thanks for this, guys. :)
The answer is "Sure."

p2

hmm okey if you only have 2gb...
maybe there's a slot for a third 1GB ram
or you coud try to get bigger modules like 2GB ones, they're not that expensive :) They should be like $10-15.
But using ubuntu maybe you won't even need that as it'll already boost the sped a lot :)

anyways good luck!! :)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dudeman313

I have 2 slots for 1 GB each, but I'd have to buy them and I'm broke.
Also, should I get Lubuntu or Ubuntu?
The answer is "Sure."

gameblabla

Quote from: Dudeman313 on October 26, 2016, 11:00:27 AM
I have 2 slots for 1 GB each, but I'd have to buy them and I'm broke.
Also, should I get Lubuntu or Ubuntu?
Then don't buy them, simple. If you have old parts, maybe you should scavenge them and see if they fit.

For your old computer, you should definitively get Lubuntu.
Ubuntu is slow, the user interface is complete s***, among others...
Try Lubuntu and then maybe in the future when you get the hang out of it,
switch to Devuan and build your own desktop.

Also, if you want to put Lubuntu on a USB stick, use rufus.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)