Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

General site updates, TODO list and discussion

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 12, 2014, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

List updated May 23 2016. This topic was originally used to discuss the website construction before it finally opened to public on Jan 1st 2015 and was/is/will be used to update users on minor site updates.

Major site upgrade features to add
Recent Posts:
-Recent posts feature with the same layout as regular sub-forums (like on Omnimaga) with the category and cloned locations appearing below the title next to the author
-The ability to filter the recent posts list by category (like on Lexaloffle and Flarum), one at a time and also by genre (eg dev-related) and certain tags (calcs, tutorials, etc)
-Recent posts page shows by default instead of board index, but there would be an option to switch between board index by default or vice-versa, depending of user's preference.

AJAX notification system (for those who don't use IRC nor WalrusIRC):
-Updates every 30 second
-When mentioned in a post (a (1) digit appears in the navbar and browser title bar)
-When a PM is received (a (1) digit appears in the navbar and browser title bar)
-When there are new posts on the forums  (a (1) digit appears in the navbar and browser title bar)
-When a new post is made in the currently-viewed topic (a warning appears below the list of posts in the topic)

Site navigation
-Welcome User+Avatar inside navbar, to the left
-Inbox and profile gets replaced with icons that appears next to it
-Rest of navigation moved to the center

Feature ideas (some might be scrapped if a SMF 2.1 upgrade come at the horizon)
-Add more games to the arcade, which must either be ports/remakes of calculator games or games made by our members. Having more z80/ez80-themed games would be nice, like Supersonic Ball.
-Make the Report to Moderator feature downvote posts automatically.
-Make WalrusIRC show forum and Telegram users in the online list instead of just IRC users
-Fix theme glitch when using search (green rectangle appearing besides the Logout link
-Fix all PHP errors. None causes any harm it seems, but an error-free site would definitively be much better and professional.
-Add merch store (there is one under construction but the selection is poor and I need to buy samples) <-This is scrapped until the Canadian dollar increases again. I can't afford to spend $50 for a t-shirt.

TODO
-Add flood control to img.codewalr.us and fix the img.codewalr.us directory listing.
-Get W-803, W-804, W-805 and W-807 back online and on a stable connection. We need more than 3 bots to keep the channel opped.
-Make WalrusIRC iOS-compatible. (seems like a CSS3 problem causing the textarea to be hidden in shoutbox view)
-Add a tutorials link in the site navigation
-Fix some theme issues preventing some text from being visible on mobile. For example, on the board stats page, maybe we could hide New members column or make some lists a smaller width percentage, such as 95%?
-Fix karma showing up twice below posts
-Fix display issues with upvote/downvote buttons inside locked topics for non-staff members.

Suggestions can be posted here or in this forum section. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Regarding the site theme I would like it to be squary because that would fit in with the logo. I'd also like the site to be mobile-friendly as in no hover menus, instead having single buttons. I can help with the design, sadly I can't be of much help code-wise as of now because I don't know c about SMF, I should probably look into that. Then even though I would like to help I would probably cause more problems than solving them because of me messing up and breaking things ;D

Tapatalk: we should get rid of the nag indeed. if users want to use tapatalk it's fine but if ppl want to use the forums instead they shouldn't be notified OH HEY DO YOU KNOW ABOUT TAPATALK on top of every page. I'm not sure if I want social login. It's been proven to not really been liked by people who used it to sign up for omnimaga for example they seem not to be able to change their name from the social name.

edit I just noticed that I got logged off even though I set always logged on to be enabled. Does this have to do with the issue where settings get reset every 10m?
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

@Site theme: Yes, rectangular borders were being considered. I might use the other theme as a base because it will be hard to start from SMF Curve, but SMF Core appears to be kinda broken, so I'm still unsure yet. I might start from a different theme. I would like the main borders to be identical to the logo, although I'm still undecided on inner colors, and obviously it's possible we won't be able to do double-borders (the translucent blue thing inside the logo border, that is). I could use the color from the sig version, though.

@Tapatalk: Yes, this is a serious issue that annoys the hell out of me when I use Proboards and Omni via the browser. I would rather make the notice now pop up an alert and make the notice smaller or get rid of it entirely.

@Social login: I'll look into that, although what is guaranteed is that registering via social network will be implemented one way or another, because 99% of the new Omni members now sign up using a social network. I could always allow users to change their nicknames as they wish, but since SMF appears to lack a nick change limit, I might make it a policy to not abuse this feature. But yeah, the fact that some people will not sign up on a site unless it lets you register in one or two clicks via Facebook is how lazy the world is, today, and we have to adapt. If it wasn't for the fact that no social login feature existed for SMF 1.1.x, then Omnimaga would have gotten that feature 4 years ago.

@Logging in issues are most likely due to server misconfiguration or you probably used the quick login form on board index. Juju and Street will have to look into this (particularly juju since he did server stuff for years). I hope they are cooperative about it and that it doesn't require us switching hosting providers or worse because that's an important feature to fix if it's broken.

EDIT: First post updated with your suggestions/reports (in blue)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

Regarding the login thing, I haven't had to log in since that happened. Might have been a one-time thing.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok. Let me know if this happens again.And I hope street, Pimath and juju starts appearing soon so they can check too.

Also the logo needs to be fixed because there's a white rectangle in it >.<

Dream of Omnimaga

Youtube tag has been added. But it still needs to be fixed for HTTPS support.

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Online Today and Char left in post modifications look like they are in working order. However, I might uninstall stuff randomly at some points if they are missing from the new theme.

Also avatar upload is broken. Shows white page of death. Also, avatar galleries are broken image links too. They default to 127.0.0.1

EDIT: Logos have been fixed.

aetios

I got logged out again this morning. I visited the site for like  a few pages, I think wrote a reply, and got logged out. Re-logged in everything is fine. Gotta figure out why this happens though.

novenary

The log off issue might just be due to cookie expiration or something. It happens to me often on Omni and other forums.

Something much more annoying is that I get a session timeout for posting just by reading the threads. >.>

pimathbrainiac

Hmmm, do you want me to write a first draft the forum rules? I already have a draft (kinda) here.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

UPDATE:

- Increased upload max file size from 1M to 32M (should fix quite a few stuff and bigger mods can be uploaded)
- Installed Tapatalk (nag might still be present once every 90 days but no mobile welcome screen)
- www automatically 301-redirects to no-www

So yeah, as we fix stuff, cross it in the OP and if you find any, add it in the OP and in a reply. This will be kind of our changelog.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

pimathbrainiac

Quote from: Juju on November 13, 2014, 08:38:21 PM
So yeah, as we fix stuff, cross it in the OP and if you find any, add it in the OP and in a reply. This will be kind of our changelog.

Will do. Do you think you can fix the White Screen of Death on the attachment settings panel next?
Well, I'm bach here too!

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

pimathbrainiac

Awesome! I'll try to report any white screen of death pages as I see them.
Well, I'm bach here too!