Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sorcery of Uvutu Closed Beta (SPOILERS)

Started by 123outerme, December 28, 2015, 10:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 28, 2016, 01:30:41 AM
Ah ok thanks. Also do you have any idea why the experience bug still happens? Once I visited the Dragon's Den and fought a few enemies, they give fewer and fewer experience (20-10 at first, then later 10-5) and then in the Plain Plains they start giving 30 exp every fight instead of like 20.

If experience is calculated based on your level, then perhaps you could show what formulas you use for experience in case you did something wrong? Or you could switch to fixed exp rewards (eg an enemy of a certain strength will give 20 exp regardless of if you are level 1 or 99) and divide the amount based on your current level (if the final result is under 1 then the program just sets it to 1 by default)
I have a few ideas. One is like yours, that the exp calculations are wrong. Also, gold and exp are tied to the same variable (one is in the integer, one as a decimal), and an operation on either could possibly make it go negative as well. Here's the calculation for Exp:
J+25-(5(L-U)(L-U<5))+5(L-U>4)→J
Where the integer of J is experience, L is the player level, and U is the type of enemy. 1 for the Ant in World 1, 2 for the Rat, 3 for the boss Apeman, and etc.
When looking for this, I found something that could possibly corrupt exp, and I changed it. But if exp is negative, gold should be too. If it's not, let me know because that would be extremely strange.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I haven't ever run into negative experience gains so far. However, I noticed I remained stuck at 10 gold for a very long while now. Maybe it went up and down while I wasn't looking.

EDIT @123outerme another bug: THis time when I move to another map area, I get INVALID DIM on the same code as the item menu D:

Sometimes, the item menu bug still happens too.

Also enemies in the Mine are now impossible to beat. They cause 24 damage and even at full HP I can't survive one fight, while I used to be able to before. Did you ramp up the difficulty for that dungeon?

EDIT ALso I doN't think this happened before, but now if you left an area then came back in, treasure chests re-appears sometimes when you reload your game.

Do you think it might be time to rollback to the first version you sent me around December? Maybe you irrecovably broke something in the game and it might be better off using an older backup?

Or it's possible you keep sending me the wrong versions all along or that the link you provided is not properly updated. You should resend me the Mediafire link everytime in case. I'm beginning to suspect the v0.6b I have is actually v0.5.

EDIT I give up on Uvutu for now. Dungeon 3 is way too hard and I can't even get farther than the 3rd room, even at LV 99 (I used the save editor). I simply am too busy to spend 2 hours every night trying again over and over.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 28, 2016, 04:51:38 AM
I haven't ever run into negative experience gains so far. However, I noticed I remained stuck at 10 gold for a very long while now. Maybe it went up and down while I wasn't looking.

EDIT @123outerme another bug: THis time when I move to another map area, I get INVALID DIM on the same code as the item menu D:

Sometimes, the item menu bug still happens too.

Also enemies in the Mine are now impossible to beat. They cause 24 damage and even at full HP I can't survive one fight, while I used to be able to before. Did you ramp up the difficulty for that dungeon?

EDIT ALso I doN't think this happened before, but now if you left an area then came back in, treasure chests re-appears sometimes when you reload your game.

Do you think it might be time to rollback to the first version you sent me around December? Maybe you irrecovably broke something in the game and it might be better off using an older backup?

Or it's possible you keep sending me the wrong versions all along or that the link you provided is not properly updated. You should resend me the Mediafire link everytime in case. I'm beginning to suspect the v0.6b I have is actually v0.5.

EDIT I give up on Uvutu for now. Dungeon 3 is way too hard and I can't even get farther than the 3rd room, even at LV 99 (I used the save editor). I simply am too busy to spend 2 hours every night trying again over and over.
Sorry about that. I'll work on bringing the difficulty down, but if you need a break, go ahead and take one. The treasure chest thing never happened before, also.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah the issue is I simply can't progress further in the game unless I decide to spend several hours grinding, while dodging the menu bugs or emulator crashes. I often work 6 days in a row lately which cuts my free time down >.<

On another note, how are the new areas progressing (eg maps and stuff)? Also I had an idea for that empty island in world 2 (maybe an invisible bridge over the lava could appear after completing the other areas, leading to a 9th one?)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

I'm going to (try to) add a secret area, but obviously its location will be hidden. Not Impossible to find, probably fairly easy, but the game will never tell you about it. While I'm promising features, I will add the Save + Continue as well. Report back here, my testing fiends, when you figure out stuff that I messed up on in the build I just sent.

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll try to test as soon as I got more free time. I also can't wait for the Save+Continue feature. :P

Dudeman313

*continues waiting impatiently for DCE's release*

*whines*

*blames Life for its problems*
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 03:02:35 AM
I'll try to test as soon as I got more free time. I also can't wait for the Save+Continue feature. :P
I got it working (I got lazy and it works, but I used Lbl and Goto. Go ahead, kill me lol). I'll send it out now. It's only the Save + Continue that I added, nothing more was changed, but from what you said I assume it's a necessary feature, especially for bug testing.
Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 24, 2016, 03:35:10 AM
*continues waiting impatiently for DCE's release*

*whines*

*blames Life for its problems*
Lol, don't worry, you'll be the first person I contact to test the compatibility on the CE.

And also, just to write a little note to myself and let all of my testers know, I'm going to archive the save Appvar after it's created. It doesn't need to be unarchived at all, and is protected against RAM clears.

Dream of Omnimaga

Bug report in latest version:

-If you start a new game and have an existing save file, the screen on which it asks if you want to erase it won't let you choose. There is no cursor and it simply chooses yes by itself without any keypress

-When you pick the first treasure chest, there is no more dialog box showing the item you got that you had added a few versions earlier. Instead, the top bar turns entirely black for half a second, then comes back to normal.

-The experience glitch is still there, although not as bad. Now what happens is that after a while, enemies in Plain Plains will give 5 or 10 exp, but once you visit the Mine then come back to Plain Plains, then every single enemy there will give 30 exp. On the other hand, they now give 0 gold, which I guess is reasonable considering it's no longer the area to visit, but I can still rack my levels up there.

-Game ends at If " "=sub(Str6,W,1 when you beat the 3rd boss. (INVALID DIM)

-I also ended up with -985 gold after beating a dungeon enemy (I had 13 before) and leveling up to 11.

Also I like that you now allow pressing any key to continue in dialog boxes. It makes it faster when fighting a lot of enemies. :P Also difficulty overall seems much more reasonable now.

Suggestion:

-When battle ends, show the amount of gold you get, how much exp left you need for next level and your total gold (kinda like in Illusiat 13)

-Make boss 2 with more HP. Although enemies were really hard in older versions, boss 2 seemed to have a very low amount of HP.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 05:08:10 AM
Bug report in latest version:

-If you start a new game and have an existing save file, the screen on which it asks if you want to erase it won't let you choose. There is no cursor and it simply chooses yes by itself without any keypress

-When you pick the first treasure chest, there is no more dialog box showing the item you got that you had added a few versions earlier. Instead, the top bar turns entirely black for half a second, then comes back to normal.

-The experience glitch is still there, although not as bad. Now what happens is that after a while, enemies in Plain Plains will give 5 or 10 exp, but once you visit the Mine then come back to Plain Plains, then every single enemy there will give 30 exp. On the other hand, they now give 0 gold, which I guess is reasonable considering it's no longer the area to visit, but I can still rack my levels up there.

-Game ends at If " "=sub(Str6,W,1 when you beat the 3rd boss. (INVALID DIM)

-I also ended up with -985 gold after beating a dungeon enemy (I had 13 before) and leveling up to 11.

Also I like that you now allow pressing any key to continue in dialog boxes. It makes it faster when fighting a lot of enemies. :P Also difficulty overall seems much more reasonable now.

Suggestion:

-When battle ends, show the amount of gold you get, how much exp left you need for next level and your total gold (kinda like in Illusiat 13)

-Make boss 2 with more HP. Although enemies were really hard in older versions, boss 2 seemed to have a very low amount of HP.
Thanks for the report!

1. Just a simple fix, done.
2. Fixed. This was always in, but I accidentally removed this feature trying to remove another bug.
3. That's simple too, fixed.
4. This should be fixed now.
5. I know why this happens, and where. I've experienced it too, and it seems to be during level-ups. It happens because when I subtract the Exp required to level up, I forgot to account for the fact that I already increased level in the code. Basically it subtracted what should've been subtracted at the next level up.

I always allowed this, in all dialog boxes ??? But anyways, glad you like the decision. And I'm glad to hear balance is better now.

1. I planned on doing this a while ago, but you reminded me. Thanks!
2. Are all bosses too easy/have too low HP, or only number 2? If it's all of them, I can add code to increase just boss health. I can do the same with just number 2, but it'll require more specific code, and I don't want to just have 1 piece of code target one specific boss for balancing.

And the last number 2 is all I need to know, and then if nothing else is broken, I can send the build out. As always, thank you so much for testing! I can't think of how much worse Sorcery of Uvutu would be if I didn't have ideas like these (For example, no secret world, Save + Continue, less descriptive ending text, etc.). I'm extremely grateful for all of the testers working with me, and the subforum as well.

Dream of Omnimaga

1: Yay!
2: Yay! And I see lol. I thought you had rolled back several versions earlier due to the many bugs introduced in the 2nd or 3rd version. I sometimes had to do this during game dev because I couldn't figure out how to fix newly introduced bugs.
3: Yay!
4: Yay!
5: My suggestion would be to make gold increase entirely dependent on the dungeon you're in, but make the amount of gained gold decrease by 1 everytime you beat a boss (the minimum being 0). Otherwise, perhaps it could be a variable conflict?

And weird, in earlier versions I swear that in battles I always had to press 2nd to get past the experience screen? ???

As for #2 in the suggestions, it's more the boss HP that is the problem. Every single boss die in two hit. Maybe make them have 4-5 times more HP, but that might be a bit overkill since we can't use items inside battles?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 09:32:58 PM
1: Yay!
2: Yay! And I see lol. I thought you had rolled back several versions earlier due to the many bugs introduced in the 2nd or 3rd version. I sometimes had to do this during game dev because I couldn't figure out how to fix newly introduced bugs.
3: Yay!
4: Yay!
5: My suggestion would be to make gold increase entirely dependent on the dungeon you're in, but make the amount of gained gold decrease by 1 everytime you beat a boss (the minimum being 0). Otherwise, perhaps it could be a variable conflict?

And weird, in earlier versions I swear that in battles I always had to press 2nd to get past the experience screen? ???

As for #2 in the suggestions, it's more the boss HP that is the problem. Every single boss die in two hit. Maybe make them have 4-5 times more HP, but that might be a bit overkill since we can't use items inside battles?
5. I've already fixed it, so it's fine now.

Hm, weird. I've actually noticed some instructions and even lines missing from my code. For example, J, the variable handling both Exp and money (don't worry, this isn't an issue though) has an integer and a decimal. In the code to display Exp in the Stats menu, there should be int(J), but there's not. However, it works just fine.

And for #2 in the suggestions, I can add more HP to bosses. Once I do that, I'll distribute 0.63b.

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe you are overwriting the code of your programs by accident with Celtic glitches? Celtic has the ability to edit program content so maybe if you did something wrong that is what is happening?

Also how do you create save appvars? There is no documentation on DCS wiki about how to create them, only program creation is explained.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 24, 2016, 10:12:54 PM
Maybe you are overwriting the code of your programs by accident with Celtic glitches? Celtic has the ability to edit program content so maybe if you did something wrong that is what is happening?

Also how do you create save appvars? There is no documentation on DCS wiki about how to create them, only program creation is explained.
The code I'm missing is missing on the desktop .txt file (as I build everything from the computer; it's much easier to test, build, and stuff)

I create my save AppVar by creating an AppVar (which is the same as creating a program, just with rowSwap( before it) and filling the lines with numbers and 1 list. When I need to call any of those values, I just read the specific line and expr(Str9->[destination]. I'm positive that Celtic II can read archived AppVars, I just have to add the code. It'll come in the next beta.

Dream of Omnimaga

The ERR:INVALID DIM error after beating the 3rd boss is still present. And I see. Thanks for the info about appvars.