Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

HoloLens!!!

Started by Dudeman313, January 25, 2016, 03:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I am a Windows Insider. I have the rights to test this awesome Microsoft Project, just not the money. :(
Official Site: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/developers
Sign Up For Development: https://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us/development-edition

What do you guys think?
Do you have the money to spare and the time to kill?
Or is this one of those cool things you'll never get?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

SiphonicSugar

I think that  this one of those cool things that I'll never get.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

ben_g

Eventually, similar devices will be both better and cheaper (or silently disappear like the Google Glass)
Since I don't really have a use for a hololens now, becoming an early adopter isn't worth it for me.
Besides, I'd much rather have a VR headset like the occulus or the vive instead of an AR headset like the hololens. My graphics card isn't even close to being powerful enough for it, but both a capable graphics card and a VR headset is only about half the price of a hololens. But still, it won't be something for this year.

kegwaan

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on January 25, 2016, 03:47:13 AM
I think that  this one of those cool things that I'll never get.
Same here.
But if I did have one, I'd like to see a game similar to Holo-Chess from Star Wars (and with a name like that why wouldn't there be Holo-Chess game?)
Quote from: ben_g on January 25, 2016, 04:45:56 PM
Eventually, similar devices will be both better and cheaper (or silently disappear like the Google Glass)
Since I don't really have a use for a hololens now, becoming an early adopter isn't worth it for me.
Besides, I'd much rather have a VR headset like the occulus or the vive instead of an AR headset like the hololens. My graphics card isn't even close to being powerful enough for it, but both a capable graphics card and a VR headset is only about half the price of a hololens. But still, it won't be something for this year.
I too think that VR headsets are both cooler and more useful, in my position as a middle schooler. But I think a hybrid of the two devices would be nice, maybe an Oculus with a camera on it, so that we can have both AR and VR on the same device.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ CSE
"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid."

Dudeman313

If I had a HoloLens, I'd make a Holo-Pokemon and a 3D 1st person Mario!
The answer is "Sure."

kegwaan

Quote from: Dudeman313 on January 25, 2016, 10:34:30 PM
If I had a HoloLens, I'd make a Holo-Pokemon and a 3D 1st person Mario!
I''d love to see that. That reminds me, Pokemon GO! comes out this year  ;D

ben_g

Quote from: kegwaan on January 25, 2016, 09:23:53 PM
I too think that VR headsets are both cooler and more useful, in my position as a middle schooler. But I think a hybrid of the two devices would be nice, maybe an Oculus with a camera on it, so that we can have both AR and VR on the same device.
The latest Vive developement edition has a camera, which apparently is fully opened to the SDK, so AR is technically possible with it. It's only a single camera though, so it can't record 3D so AR will look a bit weird with it, even if you convert the image to 3D again since that conversion is never perfect.

kegwaan

Quote from: ben_g on January 25, 2016, 10:38:34 PM
Quote from: kegwaan on January 25, 2016, 09:23:53 PM
The latest Vive developement edition has a camera, which apparently is fully opened to the SDK, so AR is technically possible with it. It's only a single camera though, so it can't record 3D so AR will look a bit weird with it, even if you convert the image to 3D again since that conversion is never perfect.
Yeah, it should use the 3DS camera setup. Or, any other camera that can record in 3D. Actually, I don;t think it would  be hard to add a camera to the Oculus. If I had experience with this kind of stuff (and if I had an Oculus) I would try to do this.

Dream of Omnimaga

Virtual Boy rules all.

Just kidding, but my favorite thing would just be some sort of VR headset console where if you are for example in your appartment it detects your arms/hands and the walls, replaces your hands with a gun and there are zombies appearing from bedrooms and stuff. I am not familiar with the virtual reality scene so I don't know if that already exists, but I assume that the oculus rift serves that purpose, right? Perhaps the use as video game would be limited, but it would be cool nonetheless. There was a movie back then about such video game IIRC, but they stood in the same spot and the world was generated, rather than using a real environment. I assume that such games would also not be suitable due to possible injuries.

As for holographic stuff, I would definitively like an holographic :walrii: :P

EDIT: Also I might not be the best person to use Google Cardboard or an Oculus Rift because of my neck issues. It would hurt after just a few minutes of use.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

VR headsets can be used with motion controllers similar to the wiimote.

aetios

I'm sure there will be something cool with the HoloLens. I'm mainly thinking of RTS and other map-based games. Imagine playing Cities: Skylines or Total War: Warhammer on that! :D
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

DJ: I think the HL would be better than VR because you can either fully emerse yourself in Holograms, or you could place little things around you, like putting a HoloWalrii :P on your desk while you listen to music with your built-in surround sound. It's also very comfortable, and adjustable. I just don't have 3,000 dollars to spend so I can't showcase it here. I would definitely use them to make a 3D :walrii: to print, as it'd be much easier to make something 3D if you can touch it in the first place.
The answer is "Sure."