If you have trouble logging in, try to disable JavaScript temporarily. If that doesn't work, please contact  a d m i n @ c o d e w a l r . u s  with your account nickname.

* WalrusIRC Shoutbox (Support and development thread)

You need to have 5 posts and not be part of restricted usergroups in order to use the WalrusIRC embedded shoutbox. However, you can also access our IRC channel called #CodeWalrus via EFnet.

Author Topic: CodeWalrus restructure  (Read 1952 times)

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• Omni founder & CW co-founder
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
  • Post Rating Ratio: +72/-7
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • View Profile
    • DJ Omnimaga music store
CodeWalrus restructure
« on: September 28, 2015, 12:20:11 am »
In order to adapt to today's calculator community, we have decided to perform changes to our internal staff policies.

The first change was made to our staff activity policies. They forced every full-time staff to post at least once a day on the forums whenever the site averaged under 3000 posts a month. Above 3000, the requirement was three times lower. Now, the requirement will be closer to what Omnimaga had when I ran it: 10 posts a month, with the difference being that the gap between each post cannot be larger than 2 weeks. This allowed us to perform the second change: The part-time staff usergroup has been merged back into the regular staff usergroup, so as a result, both @Streetwalrus and @Duke "Tape" Eiyeron have reintegrated our full-time staff team and this also means it will finally be possible to add new staff!

Also, a randomness/forum games section was added to the forums, but to prevent clutter, we have added some restrictions to it: New posts will not show up on IRC like with other sections, posts will not count towards user's post counts, the board will only be active when its total content postcount is under a certain percentage of the entire site content and new topics posted there will only appear after a moderator approved them (to prevent topics like "Count to 8000" from being made). That new section is also invisible to guests.

So it is possible that there might be more staff additions in the near future, as we go through our future staff considerations list, and it might be possible to apply as well. Stay tuned!

UPDATE: We also got an IRC botnet, at last.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:00:42 am by DJ Omnimaga »

• Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX, HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Bandcamp|Reverbnation|Facebook|Youtube|Twitter
Retired Omnimaga admin (2001-11) and editor (2012-14)

Offline semiprocoder

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +1/-0
    • awesommee333
    • 114/11470
    • View Profile
Re: CodeWalrus restructure
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 01:20:12 am »
I like the idea of adding a new section, but eh. There already is a gaming and walkthoughs section and an off topic section, and I think pretty much everything in games and randomness could be placed in those two sections, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I like the new posting regulations for the staff though hopefully some new conversations will spring up after that.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.
My new blog site: http://andrewkrapivin.x10host.com/

Offline SiphonicSugar

• Full User
  • Post Rating Ratio: +1/-1
  • I wonder...
    • @SiphonicSugar
    • SiphonicS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:27:12 am »
Hmm... New staff...

How many previous staff members do you think you will have to kick off because they don't post enough?
  • Calculators owned: TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, TI-Nspire CX, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
Maybe in 20 years... I'll be better... but until then... I don't know...

Offline Juju

• aka Yuki Kagayaki aka J̵̭͕͇ù̞̭̝̯̦j̴̭̙̗͖͡ù͏͓̲̕
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • Post Rating Ratio: +12/-2
  • Couch potato
    • jul.savard
    • juju2143
    • @juju2143
    • juju2143
    • @julosoft
    • juju-kun
    • /u/juju2143
    • juju2143
    • View Profile
    • Juju's shed
  • WalriiPoints: 99999
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:30:37 am »
Hopefully none.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)

The site is up since a few months now and now I've set up my sig
Oh well here's mine I wonder if someone will notice EVERYTHING'S WRONG

Crazy Borked Mode: OFF ON

TOMOKO-CHAAAANNNN

In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii:

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:18:39 am »
I like the idea of adding a new section, but eh. There already is a gaming and walkthoughs section and an off topic section, and I think pretty much everything in games and randomness could be placed in those two sections, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I like the new posting regulations for the staff though hopefully some new conversations will spring up after that.
Oh forum games is actually more for actually post-based games, such as the story thread and future games involving writing some lines of code in a program in each post. Gaming and walkthrough is really about video/board games and strategy guides, not randomness.
Hmm... New staff...

How many previous staff members do you think you will have to kick off because they don't post enough?
None, for now. Under the old requirements, you would get demoted to part-time staff and if your activity was low enough, demoted entirely, but Street and Eiyeron meets the new restrictions. Under the old ones, it's possible that we might have ended up never having a full-time staff again in the future, since most people nowadays simply don't have time to post everyday without any exception.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:21:36 am by DJ Omnimaga »
  • Calculators owned: TI-73, TI-80 (broken), TI-81, TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+ (broken), TI-83+SE (broken), TI-84+, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89T, TI-92, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CX, HP 39gII, HP Prime, Casio fx-7000G, fx-7400G+, fx-7700GE, fx-9750G+, fx-9750GII, fx-9860G, cfx-9850G, FX-1.0+, fx-CG10, fx-CP400
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung i5510, Nexus 5, Atari 2600, Lynx, SMS, Game Gear, Genesis, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, GBA, DS, 3DS, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, XBox 360, XBOne

Offline semiprocoder

• Full User
    • awesommee333
    • 114/11470
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:51:45 am »
Oh forum games is actually more for actually post-based games, such as the story thread and future games involving writing some lines of code in a program in each post. Gaming and walkthrough is really about video/board games and strategy guides, not randomness.

Ooooh you should copy your 4 word story thread and make a line at a time programming thread where each person adds a new line, making(admittedly) a very odd, but nice program. Doesn't have to be a game.

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 03:02:07 am »
For the program thread I was thinking more about allowing people to add lines anywhere in the program, not just the last. That way people have more freedom (although it might be abused, which is why I might disallow the usage of If blocks and Lbl/Goto commands intended to make specific code permanently unreachable)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 03:06:28 am by DJ Omnimaga »

Offline semiprocoder

• Full User
    • awesommee333
    • 114/11470
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:17:33 am »
that could work. You would have to delete any posts that would unconstructive or something like that though. Also how would it work with users being able to add any line. Would it be like a line number then the code or somthing? Or would they copy and paste the code and insert something?

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:37:31 am »
Well, people just have to set rules at the start of the topic and any post breaking them simply have to be ignored. And yeah it would be adding a line or two in the code as they like. THey would copy-paste the code in their post or at least the portion they are altering, then make the extra line(s) bold, underlined or something.

Offline Unicorn

• Unicorn Overlord of CodeWalrus
  • Super User
  • CW Contest II - 2nd place
  • Post Rating Ratio: +4/-2
  • Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    • Unicorn808
    • 114/11432
    • View Profile
    • UnicornCalcs
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 03:46:57 am »
I know that there used to be something like that for basic on cemetech, but I don't think it was a game.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something

Offline Streetwalrus

• Professional slacker
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Server Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • Post Rating Ratio: +17/-0
  • ƎW∀⅁ ƎH⊥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 07:51:32 am »
The first change was made to our staff activity policies. They forced every full-time staff to post at least once a day on the forums whenever the site averaged under 3000 posts a month. Above 3000, the requirement was three times lower. Now, the requirement will be closer to what Omnimaga had when I ran it: 10 posts a month, with the difference being that the gap between each post cannot be larger than 2 weeks. This allowed us to perform the second change: The part-time staff usergroup has been merged back into the regular staff usergroup, so as a result, both @Streetwalrus and @Duke "Tape" Eiyeron have reintegrated our full-time staff team and this also means it will finally be possible to add new staff!
I have to add that even though my activity didn't meet the requirement, I still did the job of a full time staff lately. I'm also back to being active on the forums and not only on irc, it seems. :)

Also, I just changed the styling of the randomness section posts in the recent posts view to be gray instead of low opacity so that it remains discreet yet readable.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:42:11 pm by Streetwalrus »
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, HP 40G, TI-84 Plus rev G (yay 128k RAM), TI-83 Plus Silver Edition (broken LCD), TI-82 Stats.fr (black), TI-Nspire CX rev C (yay Nlaunchy), TI-83+ SE ViewScreen

Offline DJ Omnimaga

• CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Forum Maintenance
  • Original 5
  • CodeWalrus Supporter
  • Topic Management
    • dj_omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga.music
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • dj_omnimaga
    • @DJOmnimaga
    • /u/DJ_Omnimaga
    • DJOmnimaga
    • 112/11286
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 01:59:55 am »
It looks nice in gray actually. I wasn't too sure about how to do it but it seems you got it. :)

Also yeah I noticed your activity actually went up after you became part-time staff. :P

Also I forgot to mention the IRC botnet in the news. I'm gonna do it now.

Offline Cumred_Snektron

• Lvl 69 Russian Snake
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Topic Management
  • Post Rating Ratio: +30/-1
  • SSSssssss.....
    • RobinDeWalvis
    • Kzyrox
    • RobinDeWalvis
    • View Profile
    • quantuminfinity
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 09:17:21 pm »

Ooooh you should copy your 4 word story thread and make a line at a time programming thread where each person adds a new line, making(admittedly) a very odd, but nice program. Doesn't have to be a game.

For the program thread I was thinking more about allowing people to add lines anywhere in the program, not just the last. That way people have more freedom (although it might be abused, which is why I might disallow the usage of If blocks and Lbl/Goto commands intended to make specific code permanently unreachable)

Cool idea :o someone maek dis pls
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Offline semiprocoder

• Full User
    • awesommee333
    • 114/11470
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 09:22:54 pm »
Now the question is just what language to do it in(or maybe I guess multiple threads for different languages), and I think that basic or axe would be good for most people but I don't know how well that would work out(especially since I've never really programmed in either of those).

Offline Cumred_Snektron

• Lvl 69 Russian Snake
  • CodeWalrus Staff
  • Super User
  • Topic Management
  • Post Rating Ratio: +30/-1
  • SSSssssss.....
    • RobinDeWalvis
    • Kzyrox
    • RobinDeWalvis
    • View Profile
    • quantuminfinity
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »
A script like Lua or Python would probably work too.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

You can also use the following HTML or bulletin board code to share it on your page or forum signature!

Also do not forget to check our affiliates below.
Planet Casio TI-Planet Calc.news BroniesQC BosaikNet Velocity Games