Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Teleirc IRC <-> Telegram relay

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, June 25, 2015, 04:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

This was brought up a while ago, but back then there was no IRC <-> Telegram relay bot. Now there is one it seems, at https://github.com/FruitieX/teleirc , called Teleirc.

Since we got plenty of users who prefer Telegram over IRC/WalrusIRC, I am wondering if we should have a Telegram channel relayed to #CodeWalrus ? It could be the existing Telegram group, which is restricted to certain users, but if people there don't want the group to have more people in, could we use it instead? A lot of activity happens there, so right now some of the CW userbase is cutoff from the rest whenever they are not on IRC.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I'm firmly against linking the existing group to IRC. It's a private chat and should remain one.
As for creating a new group, why not but it's not very useful. I have my IRC client open all the time on my PC and I also have a dedicated client on my phone that I use often, as most people do. And there's still wirc.
I don't prefer telegram over IRC, they just have a different purpose.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah it's more for people like Keoni29 or Eiyeron who are hardly on IRC anymore, as well as the IRC people who would like to chat with us. But if you want the current group to remain private it's up to you (although I feel that splintering CW community isn't necessarily a good thing), there can always be a CW public one if wanted.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

It's not for splitting the community. This group is a few friends hanging out, I don't want to lose that.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I know, I'm just saying that having CW so that it has multiple separate places to chat might not necessarily be the best idea if the users are cutoff from each others due to not willing to use both mediums. This is a bit why I was reluctant about the Mumble group too.

IMHO we should only have 1 public discussion chat and not allow too many people in private groups until our IRC channel reaches 50 idlers.

novenary

That group isn't really CodeWalrus. :P It's invite only for a good reason.

In Keoni's case, he hasn't had much time lately because of exams. That's why he's not active.

Dream of Omnimaga

I thought Dutch people finished school last week? O.O

Snektron

It differs, some finish a few weeks earlier than others.
Also i agree we shouldn link up the existing group, but a new one would be cool. (also a new one should be a public group for everyone on CW who wants to join)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, we still need to add people manually, but yeah anyone not banned (currently no one is) would be allowed in.

Yuki

I agree, you'd want to create a new public group for the relay. If Telegram had the feature to make people join the group from a link, that would be cool as well.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

We should port Nikkybot to Telegram, though. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Well, API is out to create easily bots on Telegram... If only they would correctly work ,that would be nice.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I was more curious about how hard it is to port an IRC bot to Telegram protocol. Unless it uses the same language?

Snektron

I guess its some sort of web api, so you'll be able to use any language that supports sockets
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 25, 2015, 03:45:37 PM
Well, we still need to add people manually, but yeah anyone not banned (currently no one is) would be allowed in.
You can actually make a group sort of public by sharing the link since a few versions.