Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[CSE Hybrid Basic] Photon - CSE Hybrid Basic

Started by 123outerme, May 24, 2015, 04:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Photon is a turn-based strategy sci-fi game for the TI-84+CSE only. This game uses Doors CSE to run, and can't run on the 84+CE or any other name referring to that calculator. So far you can fight an enemy, upgrade and repair your ship, and travel to different worlds!

Some of the Todo:

*Visible battle damage
*End goal/substance to game
[close]

v0.3b:

(v0.2b doesn't exist for reasons)
v0.1b:

[close]
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh I like the idea. It reminds me of those old strategy RPGs where once you touch an enemy it switches to another screen where you fight the enemy off. If you want to display more than 1 enemy on the screen you could just display one per frame and alternate between them (although they would move slower). :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on May 24, 2015, 04:07:53 PM
Cool! I love the faces on the ships :D
They're.. not faces... *quietly sidesteps away*
Seriously, the } and [ are the cokpit windows, and the "."s and "-"s are the laser turrets. I can see how the enemy is a face, but not really the player ship.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 24, 2015, 04:10:24 PM
Ooh I like the idea. It reminds me of those old strategy RPGs where once you touch an enemy it switches to another screen where you fight the enemy off. If you want to display more than 1 enemy on the screen you could just display one per frame and alternate between them (although they would move slower). :)
I actually slowed the enemy down by half, so they'd move at the same speed if one was updated per frame. I kinda took inspiration from the top-down layout of FTL for the battles, and the enemy encounter system from Zelda II, but everything else was from my brain. I might add another enemy, I'll have to see. When you're flashing between the delta and the X, you can't move and you're repairing the damage. If you get into a battle in that state, no damage is repaired and you have to fight obviously. Two enemies might make it harder to repair, but since it's free, it might balance out.

Dream of Omnimaga

Now you know you want to add an easter egg that turns your ship into a walrus. :P

And I like the idea about the damage repair. Another thing is that I didn't notice the map in the screenshot earlier. It's quite cool actually :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

ooo walrii would be awesome! Someone make a spaceship walrii!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 25, 2015, 07:17:37 AM
Now you know you want to add an easter egg that turns your ship into a walrus. :P

And I like the idea about the damage repair. Another thing is that I didn't notice the map in the screenshot earlier. It's quite cool actually :)
Thanks! Since you can see in the todo that I am planning to make different types of enemies using a matrix, a Walrii could happen, albeit a smaller version, due to the display limitations.

Edit: Added differing types of enemies using a matrix. I actually understand it (unlike last time I read from a matrix) and could've written it myself if it hadn't been on TI|BD.

Dream of Omnimaga

Are complex enemies fast to display? I am curious about how you do it.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 27, 2015, 09:24:10 PM
Not really, compared to the hard-coded way I did. I just used the first few example of this this and modified the sub( string to work with my game. I also had to make the colors change with an If statement, since both the empty space and the ship use a space to display a blank tile with their color. The delay is less than a second, since all ships are 6x5.

Unicorn

hmmm So its kind of like a play, take damge, then repair and upgrade game? Is there a save feature?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on May 27, 2015, 11:59:34 PM
Not really, compared to the hard-coded way I did. I just used this and modified the sub( string to work with my game. I also had to make the colors change with an If statement, since both the empty space and the ship use a space to display a blank tile with their color. The delay is less than a second, since all ships are 6x5.
Hmm your URL doesn't work. It just redirects to about:blank.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 28, 2015, 06:53:14 AM
Quote from: 123outerme on May 27, 2015, 11:59:34 PM
Not really, compared to the hard-coded way I did. I just used this and modified the sub( string to work with my game. I also had to make the colors change with an If statement, since both the empty space and the ship use a space to display a blank tile with their color. The delay is less than a second, since all ships are 6x5.
Hmm your URL doesn't work. It just redirects to about:blank.
Sorry, I just fixed it now. I forgot to put the link in.

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, I wonder if it would look better if the text was green like in sci-fi movie computer screens?

123outerme

Quote from: Unicorn on May 28, 2015, 05:52:09 AM
hmmm So its kind of like a play, take damge, then repair and upgrade game? Is there a save feature?
Sort of. I'm currently working on more of the meat of the game, since the mechanics are done. Also the game autosaves. You don't need to save, as whenever something is changed it is saved.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on June 01, 2015, 11:21:52 PM
By the way, I wonder if it would look better if the text was green like in sci-fi movie computer screens?
I put the green text in the Upgrade menu. I don't know if I'll change it, but I might.

CKH4

Wow, those graphics are really good for ASCII. Quite impressive, if I get a cse I'll be sure to play it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+