Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[CSE Hybrid Basic] CSE Hybrid Basic - Solius

Started by 123outerme, March 30, 2015, 10:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I've begun work on a roguelike for the CSE using XLibC and Celtic 2 CSE, with a color scheme similar to (read: the same as) the DOS Command Prompt. Therefore, it requires Doors CSE 8.0 or greater to run! It includes a turn-based battle system, open world with randomly generated features (towns, treasure chests, etc.) and much more. If you want to see the complete Todo (there's a lot), visit the GitHub repo.

Download is attached.
Some of the Todo:

*maybe add ability to name character
[close]

v1.1:

Old Images:

v0.5b:

v0.3b:

v0.2b:

v0.1b:

[close]
[close]
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I like it so far. Do you plan to add some colors for later levels or some enemies or will it be mostly white text? Also I like how it's similar in style to FFMF launch, but I guess since that's the main trick to get rid of the busy indicator while still using 320x240 mode, it's fine :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Have fun in this project ! I love roguelikes, so I hope you'll get to finish it soon.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 31, 2015, 12:03:23 AM
I like it so far. Do you plan to add some colors for later levels or some enemies or will it be mostly white text? Also I like how it's similar in style to FFMF launch, but I guess since that's the main trick to get rid of the busy indicator while still using 320x240 mode, it's fine :P
Yeah, it is the main way, but I also took the idea from your thread :P
Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on March 31, 2015, 12:10:05 PM
Have fun in this project ! I love roguelikes, so I hope you'll get to finish it soon.
Thanks! I know this project will be fun.

Dream of Omnimaga

I am curious about how random dungeons will be generated by the way. This posed issues to former Rogue-like project authors before, due to speed. In your case the maps seems Mana Force-like, so maybe it won't take that long to generate dungeons, but I was wondering.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 31, 2015, 11:38:33 PM
I am curious about how random dungeons will be generated by the way. This posed issues to former Rogue-like project authors before, due to speed. In your case the maps seems Mana Force-like, so maybe it won't take that long to generate dungeons, but I was wondering.
I might add structures that act as physical obstacles, but I was thinking more along the lines of having an open, plain landscape to find towns, treasure, etc.
For the generating of the random worlds, I was thinking to either have a set number of objects randomly placed somewhere in the X*X square plot then a coordinate in that plot, or have preset worlds and I'll just generate 1 number and it'll use that number to determine where every object is located at. The latter will be reduce the save file size and be easier to code, but also very predictable.

For example, if the number generated for the preset was a 3 or something, it would place a certain object in the plot 1,2. If it was, say, a 2, the same object would be at plot 4,3.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah that could actually work. Just make sure that dungeons are not just grids of wide-open room, as in having every room have exits in all 4 directions. Some mazes would help making the game so that it's not repetitive. You could generate dungeon maps from presets too, though (eg a cross-shaped dungeon, a maze-like one, a wide-open one, and so on)

You could maybe even add wall colors but only select colors from a limited color pool, so that you could also generate dungeon names with two words (eg Green/Fire/Ice/Dark, followed by Woods/Forest/Cavern/Dungeon/Temple) to spice the game up

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 01, 2015, 06:21:13 AM
Aah that could actually work. Just make sure that dungeons are not just grids of wide-open room, as in having every room have exits in all 4 directions. Some mazes would help making the game so that it's not repetitive. You could generate dungeon maps from presets too, though (eg a cross-shaped dungeon, a maze-like one, a wide-open one, and so on)

You could maybe even add wall colors but only select colors from a limited color pool, so that you could also generate dungeon names with two words (eg Green/Fire/Ice/Dark, followed by Woods/Forest/Cavern/Dungeon/Temple) to spice the game up
Yeah, I could. I'll definitely have to think about how or to what extent I want to implement dungeons and physical obstacles. I was thinking kind of like Zelda I, where iirc you could only reach the top row of map grids through certain entry points. For this game, that would mean a giant wall blocking the border to a grid above so that you'd have to go up and around to reach that grid, and the game would reward you for that.
I was also thinking of using Zelda II's encounter system (like I said in IRC). I'm not sure how it would be effective, since you and the enemies would run at the same speed, or have the enemies "teleport" around. I guess they could gang up and corner you, also like in Zelda II.

Dream of Omnimaga

For enemies, if you have two enemies at once in the screen, you could make them so only 1 move at a time. They would move twice slower than you. Zelda II encounter style seems like a nice idea, but would you have the battle screen separate and 2D like in Zelda II?

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 02, 2015, 06:18:53 AM
For enemies, if you have two enemies at once in the screen, you could make them so only 1 move at a time. They would move twice slower than you. Zelda II encounter style seems like a nice idea, but would you have the battle screen separate and 2D like in Zelda II?
I'd probably have a seperate battle screen, but it would be turn based. For now, the battle perspective is in 2D, but it's just you, the enemy, and a couple of menus.
Speaking of, I've updated the image in the OP. Now, there are turn based battles. The encounters aren't *random* per say, but that's probably the easiest part of the whole battling system.

Dream of Omnimaga

Do you plan to have a floor like in Illusiat 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13? I kinda prefer when RPG battle layouts have both the enemy and your character in the same section, not separated like in the first Final Fantasy game on the NES.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 03, 2015, 02:54:34 AM
Do you plan to have a floor like in Illusiat 8, 9, 11, 12 and 13? I kinda prefer when RPG battle layouts have both the enemy and your character in the same section, not separated like in the first Final Fantasy game on the NES.
By floor, do you mean like the battles taking place in (what looks like) a real place?
Also, I do have a line of "/" dividing your space from the enemy's, but I can take it out. I kinda like it, though, so I'll ponder on it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I mean like in Illusiat 13 battles.

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 03, 2015, 04:55:05 PM
Yeah I mean like in Illusiat 13 battles.
Oh. I see what you mean. I might do that, or I might do something like this:

o     /   m
---   /  ---

Where you are the o and both have platforms below them, but they cut off before the / divides the two sides of the screen. Again, I might remove the divide later.

Snektron

Oeh, looks quite interesting. Can't wait to see how this develops :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...