Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CSE] Caticle Chronicles (split from Cat Nipper)

Started by Unicorn, January 05, 2015, 02:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

Isn't this bad code for your calc? Everytime you use the goto
You dont exit the while loop, which causes memory leak (right?). Also you miss an end, but i assume it's on the end of the snippet, after the 2 other end's?

Lbl 1
Repeat getKey=21
End
<set coords and variables>
For (c,c,3)
Output(D,C,".
End
Goto 1

Note: this is untested, but ill test it in a min on my 84+ (not cse)
Edit: tested and it works, but im not sure if this code works for you if you do other things in the first while loop, since my snippet simply waits for a key press
In case the first while loop was a game loop and connects to the missing end it would be something like this:

While 1
getKey->M
If M=21
Then
For (C,C,3)
Output(D,C,".")
End
End
<more code>
End
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

CKH4

Cumreds code is pretty good. Like he said about the memory leak. Its never good to exit loops or conditionals with goto. A simple alternative is to have a big if statement like:

Lbl 1
While 1
<code that does something>
If M≠0 or C=3 or A=7
End
<more code>
End <the while loop>
<conditionals>
Goto 1
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Unicorn

Yeah, I just couldn't figure out how to do that correctly. I really need to read up on For loops.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, CKH4, did you forget a Then somewhere or something? Because it looks like you have one too many End instruction.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

cumred, in the for loop could I add collision detection with the displayin of the bullet?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Probably, but how do you check for objects in your code?
I mean is there some array or something it's stored in? (Maybe post a test expression)

Unicorn

I just check if the variable coords of the bullets equals the variable coords of the enemies.

If A=C and B=D
Do health reduction code.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

I assume the bullet only travels from left to right:

While 1
getKey->M
If M=21
Then
For (C,C,3)
If A=C and B=D
Then
<health reduction>
3->C //to break from the for loop
Else
Output(D,C,".")
End
End
End
<more code>
End

This stops the bullet after it hits something too
EDIT: okay i did some oncalc testing and i came up with this code:

While 1
  getKey->M
  If M=21
  Then
    For(C,C,3-(4-A)*(B=D)
      Output(D,C,".
    End
  If C!=4
    <health reduction code>
End
<more code>
End

The 4 in this case is 3+1, so if you wanted to let the bullet travel to eg 10 you would replace 3 with 10 and 4 with 11 :P
Edit 2: fixed error and i think this is about the best i can do:
<max x, in your case 3> ->X
While 1
  getKey->M
  If M=21
  Then
    X-(X+1-min(A,X+1))*(B=D)->E
    For(C,C,E
      Output(D,C,".
    End
    If C=A
      //hitpoint is stored in C and D, so you could
      //have something like Output(D,C,"X as explosion :P
      <health reduction>
  End
  <more code>
End

X can be replaced in the code, theres no need to save it in a var :P

CKH4

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 26, 2015, 07:27:56 PM
Wait, CKH4, did you forget a Then somewhere or something? Because it looks like you have one too many End instruction.
Just taking out the extra end statement optimizes it for size. If you add a then it will be optimized for speed. (I guess but I'm failing at coding right now so don't take my word on anything being right)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Dream of Omnimaga

I was wondering because there seemed to be too many Ends for the amount of blocks.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Cumred: I am shooting the bullets from top to bottom. What would I have to change your last code? The X-(X+1-min(A,X+1))*(B=D)->E ? Can you explain what that is doing to me?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Yeah its a tricky one :P
Basically, It calculates the distance to the hit point.
The X-(X+1-max(A,X+1) part calculates the (in this case) x coord of the collision. The first X is standard, its what i did without collision. Then, i subtract from it the distance to A. I do this instead of just setting the distance to A so i can multiply it with 0 to cancel the substraction. The (B=D) part checks if the Y coordinates are the same. If so, the substraction continues (it returns 1) and the final x pos is of the collision. If the Y coordinates are not the same, the bullet will miss. (B=D) will return zero and the substraction is cancelled. The final x pos is the maximum x pos.
(Im sorry it's hard to explain)

Anyway, the code for shooting from the top would look like this:

<max y, in your case 3> ->X
While 1
  getKey->M
  If M=21
  Then
    X-(X+1-min(B,X+1))*(A=C)->E
    For(D,D,E
      Output(D,C,".
    End
    If D=B
      //hitpoint is stored in C and D, so you could
      //have something like Output(D,C,"X as explosion :P
      <health reduction>
  End
  <more code>
End

I just switch A&B  and  C&D ;D

Unicorn

Sorry if I am asking to much, But could you refrase it with these variables?

Output(A,B,"Is the player controlled sprite
Output(C,D,"Is the bullet
Output(G,H,"Is the enemy
The enemy health is stored in Q
If I had 2 enemies I would replace all of the G and Hs with the other varibles for the enemy right?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Unicorn

So, I think I am going to halt development on this project for now, as I don't have the necessary skills in xlibC to create an asteroid game. Once I get TokensIDE working, I will finish my first xlibC program MonyWal. (Throwing money at Walruses) Then I may start development on Cateroid. (Good name? Yes? No?)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear D:. I hope you continue calculator developement, though. You could maybe ask for help in a new xLIBC thread?
Cateroid sounds like a good name but make sure it wasn't already taken in Cemetech's contest.