Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Walrii contest results out! Click here to see who won!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 03, 2016, 03:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

5 entries competed together for this second CodeWalrus contest. What we wish is that we could have gotten the chance to offer larger prizes for a few of the best entries, because many of the participants truly deserves it for getting an elaborate . Unfortunately, our status as an unaffiliated website ran mostly by students, low-income staff, along with the falling Canadian dollar exchange rate, have prevented us from doing so so far. We hope, however, that you have enjoyed this second CodeWalrus contest.

Without further ado, let's see who will win the CAD$30 and CAD$70 (approximately $22 and $50 in US dollars) gift cards for Steam(EDIT: Important announcement regarding Steam), iTunes or Amazon, depending of what the winner chooses and what is available in his country. Here are the contest results!

Full result details
  *(20 pts) Originality: Is it just an old game of yours where you just replaced sprites with walruses? Is it just a guessing game (we never know)?
  *(20 pts) Walruses: How well did you integrate Walrii and/or its relatives into your game? Was your game choice reasonable?
  *(20 pts) Gameplay: How well does the game play? Are controls well-chosen? Is it too slow to be playable?
  *(15 pts) Fun: Is the game fun? Would you play it again in the future?
  *(15 pts) Graphics: How great the game looks like? How easy is it to distinguish stuff?
  *(10 pts) Size, speed, installing & bugs: Is the game file size reasonable for what it offers? Is it too slow? Is installation easy? is the game bug-ridden?Total: 100 points

alexgt - Zampy's Quest (HP Prime)
-Originality: 18 pts ()
-Walruses: 17 pts ()
-Gameplay: 12 pts ()
-Fun: 7 pts (Game isn't close to finished, so all you can do is jump and move around)
-Graphics: 14 pts ()
-Size/Speed/Install/Bugs: 5 pts (very hard to get to work (memory issues causes spreadsheet to appear) and no in-game level switching)
TOTAL: 73

c4ooo - The Day the Walrus Flew (TI-83 Plus/84 Plus)
-Originality: 15 pts (Similar to Flappy Bird but with more)
-Gameplay: 14 pts (some minor collision issues and weird controls but otherwise very fun)
-Fun: 12 pts ()
-Graphics: 10 pts ()
-Size/Speed/Install/Bugs: 10 pts ()
TOTAL: 78

JWinslow23 - Wal-Rush (PC)
-Originality: 16 pts ()
-Gameplay: 16 pts (spamming fly button makes it too easy to avoid stuff. Awesome otherwise)
-Fun: 13 pts ()
-Graphics: 11 pts ()
-Size/Speed/Install/Bugs: 8 pts (exe hijacks PC clipboard, SWF is resource-intensive and sb2 only runs on Scratch player)
TOTAL: 81

semiprocoder - Walrii DTS (TI-Nspire CX)
-Originality: 14 pts (Don't Touch the Spikes with walruses)
-Gameplay: 17 pts (very solid, although it takes too long to get gold)
-Fun: 14 pts ()
-Graphics: 13 pts ()
TOTAL: 85

Unicorn - Walrii Throw (TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition)
-Originality: 16 pts ()
-Gameplay: 14 pts (Collision detection issues)
-Fun: 11 pts
-Graphics: 11 pts ()
TOTAL: 79

Voting round: (Each vote counts for 12.5 points. Basically, both judging and voting scores are three times less than during the 2010 Axe Contest on Omnimaga.

PARTICIPANT: Votes - Votes x 12.5  - Judging score above
alexgt:         3  -      37.5     -   73
c4ooo:          4  -      50       -   78
JWinslow23:     1  -      12.5     -   81
semiprocoder:   1  -      12.5     -   85
Unicorn:        3  -      37.5     -   79

TOTAL:
alexgt:         110.5
c4ooo:          128
JWinslow23:     93.5
semiprocoder:   97.5
Unicorn:        116.5

2nd place: @Unicorn
WINNER:    @c4ooo
[close]

So the following authors have now been awarded special badges, which are now attached to their forum accounts!

We would like to congratulate the winner, the one who came in second place and everyone for their hard work for pulling off such games in just a bit over a month, despite school exams and life. And thanks everyone for participating! 

Contest info topic
Voting topic
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

• Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Araidia

Congrats to unicorn and c4ooo for winning the contest!
(imho I think the votes were valued too high)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

I actually loved your entry and it's definitively a very solid entry. Simple but entertaining game with interesting style. Either way, thanks everyone for participating :)
Quote from: Araidia on February 03, 2016, 04:02:00 AM
Votes value decrease every contest since 2010 (in this case, due to the lower amount of voters and the fact we could only vote for 1 entry), yet there is always someone who complains that it's still too high. As a result, I tend to take such criticism with a grain of salt. But I'll see what we can do for future contests. It's possible that we go for a judges-only thing like Cemetech (but then I bet someone will complain about lack of democracy <_<)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Great job everyone on there contest entries! I personally think that semipro's entry was very nice, but I guess with less people having Nspires that was an issue.

And great job to you too, c4ooo! Your entry was definitely sorta addicting, except it could've used a menu with high scores, in my opinion. (I'm not trying to say that mine is better or anything like that) I think the judging was fair ;)

Wow! I can't believe that Walrii Throw did well! It did not have the replay value, and was a little bit buggy with character selection and all that, but I guess it was an ok game...

Thanks everyone!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Araidia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2016, 04:19:38 AM
I actually loved your entry and it's definitively a very solid entry. Simple but entertaining game with interesting style. Either way, thanks everyone for participating :)
Votes value decrease every contest since 2010 (in this case, due to the lower amount of voters and the fact we could only vote for 1 entry), yet there is always someone who complains that it's still too high. As a result, I tend to take such criticism with a grain of salt. But I'll see what we can do for future contests. It's possible that we go for a judges-only thing like Cemetech (but then I bet someone will complain about lack of democracy <_<)
Looks like I am that one person ;D
But really, I'm not trying to criticize you because I didn't do a thing related to the event  :thumbsup: 
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

c4ooo

Wow, i was definitely hoping to win but I did  not expect first place  ;D
Good job to every one who participated.
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2016, 04:19:38 AM
bote(imho I think the votes were valued too high)
I think that the value of votes should depend on the number of votes. 'Value = 100/totalVotes' or something ;)

alexgt

• Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dudeman313

Congrats, guys!  :D  :w00t:  :D
I didn't vote, because I didn't play all the games.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

You should have Dudeman D: (I can understand, though, since you don't have every calculator)

All entries were great IMHO, even the unfinished one.

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way @Unicorn did you upload your contest entry to ticalc.org yet? I would recommend if you did so (like the two other TI authors) if you want more visibility. :)

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 17, 2016, 07:16:21 AM
By the way @Unicorn did you upload your contest entry to ticalc.org yet? I would recommend if you did so (like the two other TI authors) if you want more visibility. :)
Oh yeah, I forgot to do that. I'm actually going to spice it up a bit more before doing so.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. What would be cool is if you updated the graphics to take full advantage of the colors where you can (eg the water). You can probably use SourceCoder or Tokens to convert pictures to 80x60.